Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One dead laptop

• Please log in to reply

rathbun

rathbun

• Pip
  • 3 posts
HI, I'm new to this site, but it looked like a site that could help me. I know very little about computers. I live in the USA 6 months and in the Philippines 6 months. I have a HP laptop that last night just shut off. the entire system shut off. I can not even start it up. it is like there is no power to it at all. I know the power cord does work because I have another HP laptop that it works with. I'm afraid that the only thing that can be done is to get a new motherboard. Is that right??? If so I think I probably should just but a new system. Any suggestions or Ideas?

Thanks
:)
Ron

Advertisements

sync0s

sync0s

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
It sounds like your laptops battery may be done for. Try this trouble shooting page I found after googeling, this may help you fix your problem. Laptop Battery Troubleshooting

rathbun

rathbun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

It sounds like your laptops battery may be done for. Try this trouble shooting page I found after googeling, this may help you fix your problem. Laptop Battery Troubleshooting

Sync0s, Thanks for the tip. The chart did not really solve the problem but I think you may be right. After your suggestion that it may be the battery I took the battery out of the laptop and could find no terminals to test the charge since the terminals are in a very tight slot that makes it impossiable to get a tester to. However, when I replaced the battery and tried to turning on I got a flicker of the lights indicating that it is tring to start. This is soimilar to my digital camera when the battery is drained and I remove the battery and then reattach it I will get a small jolt of power. The only difference with the laptop is that the laptop will not start even if it plugged directly into the house current. I am currently leaving the lap top plugged in and hoping it will recharge the battery. The problem is that I am currently overseas and may not be able to a new battery here. Pray that this works. Thanks again.

Ron

Edited by rathbun, 18 January 2009 - 04:25 AM.