Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvi to vga adapter issues

• Please log in to reply

WheelsOH76

WheelsOH76

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I recently decided to buy a new video card to upgrade (at least slightly) my old Radeon x300 series card. My old card had VGA and DVI outputs, the new one only includes DVI-I (It's a Radeon X800 xl) (It's new to me....okay?). The monitor has only a power connection and one for a VGA cable. I've purchased a DVI to VGA adapter for use with this. However, when I connect the monitor with the adapter through a DVI output, I'm unable to get any picture at all. The monitor behaves as if the computer is off (no signal?). I tried this with the old video card that works just fine with the VGA outputs, but not with the DVI ones, and with the new one as well. So it's not a driver or video card issue as far as I can tell. Is there something I'm missing in order to get this to work? From everything that I've read it seems that the adapter should just automatically do the trick. It is an older LCD monitor (it was new technology then!) so perhaps it's lacking the compatability to run with a dvi output? I haven't seen anything like this problem in any of the research I've done. The only other option would be that the adapter itself is faulty, but It had been tested right before it was purchased. If anyone has any Ideas they would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I have used these MANY MANY times on all sorts of monitors etc. and they have ALL just worked. It may be you just received a bum adapter honestly. Who tested it? Where did you purchase it?

WheelsOH76

WheelsOH76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Got it at Best Buy, so I assume that the Geek Squad tested it. Just said TESTED on the package. I suppose they could have just slapped the sticker on. It is as simple as plug and play with it, isn't it?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
They could have. I would return it. Yeah these are just as simple as plug and play.