Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Nortons and Internet

• Please log in to reply

ironguitar8

ironguitar8

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ever since i have uninstalled norton's internet security i have had a ton of problems. When I tried to install it again an error occurs and it won't install when it gets to the point when it installs the Anti-Virus. I keep getting disconnected from the internet after being on for about 20 min. I've done numerous virus and spyware scans from many progams and none have helped. I've run out of ideas on what to do. My only solution i could think of is to wipe out the hard drive and start fresh, but there are way to many files to backup. Any solutions?

Thanks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what version did you have?

this symantec article might be of some use.

more likely you had a newer version (2004, 2005). you can try this removal tool

Starjax

ironguitar8

ironguitar8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well i tried that removal tool and nortons 2005 will still not install.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Ok, typicall failures in the install follow something like this. it starts the install goes all the way till it tries to do the virus definitions and then fails and roles back the install. If thats the case here is what you do;

ok, I am going to tell you what to change in the registry. please be carefull.

go to start run and type in "regedit without the quotes. click ok.

navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CURRENT CONTROL SET. Under control set expand enum. Right click on "ROOT" and choose permissions.

a box will open displaying permissions and permission levels.

by default Everyone will be listed on the top and at the bottom no boxes will be checked. Next is System. It will have to "greyed" out boxes check for full and read (allow permission).

click add. type in administrators and then click check name. It should underline what you typed. Click ok at the bottom and exit the registry.

If thats not the scenerio then I need to know exactly what the error is when you try to install it.

Starjax

ironguitar8

ironguitar8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Before I saw your 2nd reply i removed everything of nortons with the removal tool and manually and when I tried installing it i got a window that popped up and said IDSinst.exe then IDSERR_REGISTERWITHLIVEUPDATE and when i click OK i get an error message on the installation

Thanks for the help

ironguitar8

ironguitar8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried the registry thing you told me to do and i did it exactly and when i tried to install nortons again the same IDSinst.exe thing popped up and when i clicked OK an error message popped up and i couldn't install. I noticed when IDSinst.exe pops up Norton's is installing the System Networks part of the Internet Security 2005. That is all the information i have i hope it's enough to fix this problem. thanks

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try this:
repairing intrusion detection files

ironguitar8

ironguitar8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok i followed the instructions and there is no IDS in the registry key so i went to the next step of going to run then you type in command and when i did this is what came up 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem, C:\windows\system32\command.com
c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. the system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows applications. choose 'close' to terminate the application. And my options are close or ignore and when i click ignore it exits out.