Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Reinstalling Windows XP PRO

• Please log in to reply

Woody5

Woody5

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Geeks to Go!

I am trying to do a clean install of Win XP from a downloaded .img file that I got from the University that I am attending. Every time that I try to boot from cd, after setup has loaded the requisite files and is trying to start Windows, I get the BSOD with error codes: STOP: 0x0000007B (0xf78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). I have tried finding a similar situation to mine in the forum archives, but every time I find something similar, the post ends up not being finished. Also, as this is the Malware removal thread, I had a virus on my machine about a year ago that you guys helped me fix. I don't know if this is related, but there is a substantial black section that is in my Add/Remove programs list that seems to separate my files into two sections. I think that I can still see all of my files, at least I haven't noticed any that I couldn't. Anyway, just wondering if this might be connected to the BSOD error that I get. Any help that I can get with this situation is very much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Lets see if you have this option in your bios. (It works on dells)
1. On start up enter BIOS you will have to read the screen to see which button to push.

2. Expand the "Drives" section

3. Go to "SATA Operation"

4. Change this from "RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA"
Cheers
Peterm

Woody5

Woody5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Okay, so in the BIOS I went to the Drive Congig screen where it gives me the option to "Configure SATA as:" and then the three options that I am given are: IDE, RAID, and AHCI. Currently, it is set to RAID. As far as anything relating to the ATA, there is an option that I cannot configure that tells me the "ATA/IDE Mode" and currently it is set to "Native." As for the rest of the screen, there is an option to enable/disable S.M.A.R.T., tells me the Detected SATA Device which is Intel RAID0, and another one that is P2-HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20LS10. The last thing on the screen tells me that the Hard Disk Pre-Delay is set to 0. As there is no question in the above, I am wondering which of the 3 options for configuring SATA that I should choose based on your previous response. Thank you so much for helping me.

The Matt

The Matt

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I normally work for my family when I work on computers.. If we ever get the BSOD when a customer wants their system wiped and reloaded or maybe ends up having to be reloaded, well, what we do is start disconnecting parts (I'm not saying if you don't know the inside of a computer too well then to try this anyway) until we see what stops making it give that BSOD. After we get the BSOD to stop from happening then we replace the part and the computer runs fine.

Now about the part about you downloading the ISO from your university you might consider seeing if it was a bad download as well.

You can do that by downloading it to a different directory (meaning that the original download is not in there) and then reburn the disk and see if it does the trick if you are willing to reload the system.

You might also consider repairing the system when you boot from that CD.

You can do that by following these steps.

Boot to the CD
When setup loads hit enter
Accept the license agreement
when it finds the copy of Windows hit the R key
and then follow the steps after that (mostly I say this because I honestly don't remember whats after because I never really have to do this)

-Matt.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
All Bios are different. It was worth a look.
As matt says it can be a bad bit of hardware. Have you added any new hardware lately ? if yes disconnect it . Also disconnect anything else plugged in to ports - printers etc. If you do try matt's idea then make sure you discharge static first by touching some metal.
This is about your error..
It could be virus related. Are you able to plug this into another computer to run scandisk ?