Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP services not loading

• Please log in to reply

twotall

twotall

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I can not fiquire our what happened to my services in windows xp home. Computer was working find then I shut down, on start up the next day a number of services just went missing. Network Connection, Help and Support, TCIP, HTTP, etc. Now I can not use internet, help etc. Computer works fine other wise. I have unistalled network card, installed new network card, checked registry for the services, and they are listed. But the are not showing up with services.msc I have run malwarebytes program, current mcafree etc. to check for virus, generic.XX was quartined in the mcafree the day of the problem, services.exe and scvhost.exe where found and repaired by mcafree.

I am lost on regisitry editting. should I try repair utility or repair windows with a installation CD, which I can not find the copy the came with HP computer, must be on system retore partitiion, which I would loke to not to have to do.

I just can fiquire out how to restore the missing services, to where they are loading. Anyone have suggestions as to why the services are not loading and not showing up in services.msc, when they are listed in registry

Edited by twotall, 18 January 2009 - 06:55 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try System Restore?

titans58

titans58

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did a restore and lost 6 yrs of updates from Microsoft, and then it wouldnt read I had windows package at all nor would it download anything. Now its in the shop. My Hp came with no recovery discs either ( they were bad about that in older models). Be careful if u dont have ur own recovery disc.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I did a restore and lost 6 yrs of updates from Microsoft

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. System Restore points don't go back 6 years.

twotall

twotall

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
For some reason the was no restore points. Fixed by doing a repair install

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good news :)