Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does Avir support Window xp 2003 Sp1

• Please log in to reply

inzonedj89

inzonedj89

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Just wanted to know and thinking about re downloading this software(Avir free something) again.

I just asking because when I download this software and register my name and check the news letter, then when it started to download at 58% there a big blue screen came up and say hard drive or memory drive is not enough or something and need be restart or call for help if this occur again. I have 126g free space /149g.

I dont know if this support my window or not because I am kinda confuse when they say compatible with Window XP(dont know if they mean window xp 2000. 2003. even home edition).

Also AVG 8.0 free dont work for my window xp 2003 so that is why i asking.

Also does the avast work on my system because I have spybot as my antiviurs, and mbam and thinking about delete my avg 7.5 but worry about release some of the virus out ( I think I can delete one or remove one from my AVG before i delete it).

I think of getting 4 anti virus - sybot, anti malware, avir and avast or should i just keep those 2 anti virus soft ware i got and get one more?

Edited by inzonedj89, 18 January 2009 - 08:10 PM.

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello inzonedj89

Where are you downloading Avira from?

Avira is compatible with all version of WinXp although it recommends you have SP2 for best performance.

http://www.free-av.com/

As for AVG 8.0 you need at least SP2 to install the software

http://www.avg.com/platforms

"AVG only runs on Windows 2000 SP4 + Update Rollup 1, Windows XP SP2, Windows XP Pro x64 Edition SP1 and Windows Vista/Vista x64 Edition or higher."

You can also install Avast on your system as it meets requirements.

With that being said you should NEVER have more than one anti-virus installed at a time.

If you are running multiple solutions you should choose one to stay with and uninstall the others.

Having multiple anti-virus programs actually make your system less secure not more secure.

Have a look at the following article.

http://www.geekstogo...ng-t225044.html

Hope this was helpful

inzonedj89

inzonedj89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I download it from Cnet.com but didnt realize it only support SP1, which maybe the reason why it causes the blue screen, but Avg did something different, it install full way and told me I cant install due to my outdata window.

Ahh ok I just have window xp 2003 (SP1) ok thanks.

Does Avast update the virus, like AVG, kaspsekry, nod32 which update the virus dictionary library?

I jsut stick with sybot and anti maleware (MBAM), since that the only one I got that is updated.

Edited by inzonedj89, 18 January 2009 - 08:33 PM.

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Yes Avast automatically update the virus definition library. Spybot nor MBAM is an anti-virus solution. If you are planning on uninstalling

AVG 7.5 then you will definitely need to install one of the other antivirus solutions.

inzonedj89

inzonedj89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Yea i need uninstall that it seem like AVG is not supporting AVG 7.5,>.<

so should I just keep anti malware and spybot or just get avast as one anti virus and uninstall both malware and spybot, because i worries about that new downupda or conflicker virus.

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
You can still keeps those to programs and use as normal along with Avast.

inzonedj89

inzonedj89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ah ok then I going to uninstall avg

I will install avast and keep both of my spybot and malware.

inzonedj89

inzonedj89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I cat find the AVG 7,5 uninstall thing :), can i remove it from my add/remove or I need go look for the uninstall

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Remove it from Add/Remove programs. If you experience any problems with removing it through the Control Panel see the below article

http://www.pchell.co...nstallavg.shtml

inzonedj89

inzonedj89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
alright thx, it has been removed