Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply Unit and other hardware

• Please log in to reply

tom2340

tom2340

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi people,

Had a psu blow up lastnight, loud snap/bang, smoke!

Because of this will the other parts hard drive, motherboard, cpu, RAM etc be damaged?

How will I be able to determine this?

Just opend the power box, cant see anything obvious (intend to replace).

Thanks, look forward to your reply!

Tom

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It is always possible that when a power supply fails in that manner that it can take out other parts in the system which use the power.

The only real way to tell is to replace the power supply and see if things work or to put the parts in another computer and test them.

The power supplies are basically a single part unless you know what you are doing. Also, just replacing a part does not mean that it will fix it since it could be something else which cause the part to fail and the replacement part would also fail..

tom2340

tom2340

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

The power supplies are basically a single part unless you know what you are doing. Also, just replacing a part does not mean that it will fix it since it could be something else which cause the part to fail and the replacement part would also fail..

Ok...So if I replace the psu and it also fails, what part(s) could cause a power supply to fail?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I was talking about the parts inside the power supply.

tom2340

tom2340

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

I was talking about the parts inside the power supply.

Thank you for the clarification.