Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop gone.

• Please log in to reply

Ckenward

Ckenward

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
so i was trying to watch a movie when window media player wouldn't start. i opened the task manager to see if it was frozen, instead i found nothing.
then about an hour later, i started getting blank internet explorer script error messages and no matter how may i closed there was more. now my desktop is gone but explorer.exe is still running i ran restarted and i ran spyware SD and Malwarebytes and found nothing. i'm not sure if it's i virus or malware or not.

plz help.

*EDIT* 20 mins later explorer started warking again. ie wont let me check my emial tho and wmp isn't working either. and there are 3 window's updates and I've tried to install then but they wont.

Edited by Ckenward, 18 January 2009 - 09:51 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try System Restore?

Ckenward

Ckenward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
No, but i restored my registry and that worked. tho windows update is still wonky.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Ckenward

When you say wonky what exactly do you mean? does it work then it doesn't?

What I will try with you now is to disable the service and re-enable the service and see if that helps you in anyway :) to do that please do the following.

• Select start and goto run
  • In the run box enter "services.msc" without the quotation marks and press enter
  • Scroll down to Automatic Updates and double click this
  • Click on stop, then click ok
  • Double click Automatic Updates again and click start then ok
Also make sure that your time and date is set correctly, to do this just double click the time at the bottom right hand side of your screen.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 19 January 2009 - 10:08 AM.