Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Philips CDRW/DVD SCB5265 Read OK / Failure to Write

• Please log in to reply

baileyco

baileyco

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Windows XP. HP Pavillion dv1000. philips cdrw/dvd scb5265. The drive reads CDs and DVDs fine, and when I try to write to a CD via Windows Media or iTunes, the burn completes sucessully (i.e., I do not receive diagnostics of any kind, and the program messaging looks normal). During the burn process, I hear and feel the drive spinning. However, the CD is blank at the end of the process. This just started happening. I read an earlier post stating that there may be two lasers: one for DVD and one for CD. This drive will only write CDs, and when I look, I only see one laser which I tried to clean using Windex and a cue tip. Can a CD laser fail on a level where it can read but not write. I used the CDs I have on another HP Pavillion with no problems. If the device is no longer fully functional, I also read a post that it's probably cheaper to get an external CD/DVD drive than to try and replace this one. I haven't done any pricing. Is that true? Thanks.

Edited by baileyco, 19 January 2009 - 03:22 AM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Can a CD laser fail on a level where it can read but not write.

Yes, drives can lose the burn capability while still maintaining the read.

I also read a post that it's probably cheaper to get an external CD/DVD drive than to try and replace this one. I haven't done any pricing. Is that true?

I guess it depends on who you speak to. I've been using THIS DRIVE for over a year with no problems. Newegg has a ton of different drives to choose from, including externals, so you have a lot of choices.

baileyco

baileyco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply.