Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

Stevo_Evo_22

Stevo_Evo_22

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey everyone,

I have a problem after just installing SP2-when I have windows explorer running my internet connection is extrmely slow, but, weirdly, when i end windows explorer, my internet runs as normal.

Is this common? Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Steven

Advertisements

Stevo_Evo_22

Stevo_Evo_22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok I have some more information...I also cannot seem to run Internet Explorer with MSN Messenger at the same time.

Any ideas?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Why did you install SP2 few years AFTER it came out?

Stevo_Evo_22

Stevo_Evo_22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Why did you install SP2 few years AFTER it came out?

Simply because I was trying to get rid of an error to do with XP. I was advised that reinstalling XP would help to correct the problem. I didn't actually realise that SP2 wasn't already installed:)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK. So, you have pretty fresh Windows installation, and you just installed SP2, correct?
Was it clean install, including formatting hard drive?
What kind of CD was used to do the reinstall?

Stevo_Evo_22

Stevo_Evo_22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Actually the CD I used wasn't really for this computer, it was a reinstallation CD for another computer that we have. I also did not reformat the hard drive. My bad, that must be the problem...
The thing is, the problem persists even after I uninstalled SP2.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Actually the CD I used wasn't really for this computer, it was a reinstallation CD for another computer that we have

Was it Windows XP CD, or Recovery CD?
If Recovery CD, it won't work, because this type of CD can be used only on one particular computer, it was made for.

Stevo_Evo_22

Stevo_Evo_22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ah I see. Wow I feel stupid:) It says reinstallation, but it also says only for that particular computer:(

Oh well. The only thing is though, I have just uninstalled SP2 but the registration notification won't go away...does that mean it's still there?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
As Broni stated and to clarify furthur, a re-installation cd is for 1 computer only AND for that specific 1. Reason being, it is licensed to that 1 AND it loads the specific board drivers and component drivers only for that computer.
Chances are that in device manager you are missing some drivers, or the wrong ones are installed.

Stevo_Evo_22

Stevo_Evo_22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok thanks. At least that clears that up:) To solve this annoying problem I just replaced the windows shell with Aston and it works fine for now.

Thanks a million to both of you for your help-I really do appreciate it:D

Steven

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Cool :)