Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

DSL connection problems, Windows XP pro

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I posted this problem to the malware forum, but after trying four different solutions with no results, they redirected me to this forum!

This is my problem:
I have a DSL connection that works just fine with my laptop (running Windows 2000), but when it's connected to my desktop (running Windows XP Pro) I can only be online for about 5 minutes before I start getting error messages. When I check the connection status it shows that I'm always connected. Also, I seem to be able to stay online longer if I stay within the same site than when I'm surfing from site to site (in case that is a clue to what the problem is).

I have run all kinds of virus scans, trojan scans, adware & spyware scans, and my machine is clean. I don't think there is a problem with the connection itself, because as I mentioned, I have no problem using my laptop. In order to get back online, I have to run downstairs and turn the modem off then back on. This is getting very frustrating! My computer knowledge is limited, but I suspect it might possibly be a problem with XP pro (???) I have been trying to fix this for weeks--I would really really appreciate any help.