Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need info on router/modem to get

• Please log in to reply

nethkhar

nethkhar

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
HI,

I would like some info please on which router/modem to buy for my home network. I currently have a dlink dsl g624t which has worked brillantly. However the one thing it can't do which i need is it cannot share ports between IP addresses.

My boyfriend and I both play WOW and i need to be able to open the game port for both computers so i need a router/modem that can allow this.

I have done a bit or research but all the ones I've found have been the router only, so the modem would be separate. Since I don't have a modem I wondered if anyone out there had any advice on a combined one that will fit the bill.

As a side note it would be useful to have a wireless one since i do occasionally hook up with the PS3 and Wii and a good signal for them would be great.

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
we'd need to know what kind of internet connection you've got..DSL? Cable? etc...who do you get your internet through? you can usually contact them and see if they can upgrade you to a wireless modem/router with your connection

nethkhar

nethkhar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok, I have a DSL connection with tesco, 1meg line, yeah i know this is small but hey, no download limits.

The router is mine not one I got from the ISP they only give you a modem which I gave to a friend because I didn't need it.

So basically I need to know which modem/router to buy so that 2 computers can share the same ports, these computers are wired, and I would prefer them to stay that way. However, wireless for my ps3 and wii would be great but is not essential, it is more important I get a combined router/modem with wired connections.

Hope this helps and thanks for replying. :)