Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defragmenting /I/386

• Please log in to reply

Wayne Smith

Wayne Smith

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi!
When I try to defragment my C:drive, which has 25.25 free space of 37.25G total,
it stops at the 50% mark and is unable to complete, due to the following files which
it is unable to defragment:

/I/386/CORDIAU.TT_
/I/386/COMPATUI.DL_
/I/386/LUNA.MS_
WINDOWS/system32/cmdial32.dll
/I/386/COMSVCS.DL_

Can you tell me if I can safely delete these files to achieve full defragmentation? I've tried moving
them to an external hard drive before defragmenting but it won't allow me to do so!

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Hi Wayne Smith and Welcome! to geeks to go!

Please do not delete those files!

The i386 file is essentially a 'backup' of your Windows installation, and the system32 file is actually part of Windows itself.

"Full Defragmentation" is/should not be a goal in and of itself. If it were, I would simply wipe my drive of files altogether. No files-no fragmentation.

Windows is actually very good at handling fragmented files. It is only when the fragmentation becomes too severe that any issues occur.

Further, Windows defrag utility does not address certain files by design, leaving them untouched in its processing. Many XP users find that other defrag utilities provide a better solution.

Iobit has a free defrag utility that is designed to run in the background and keep the drive defragmented: http://www.iobit.com...artdefrag.html#

Those of us who prefer the manual approach usually choose the no-install JkDefrag: http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/

The best plan is to choose a method and stick with it. The various defrag utilities use different methods for defragmenting and 'optimizing' the hard drive. I could run one right after the other forever- each would think that what the other did needed modification. Pointless, and causes disk wear.

I suggest that you either use the Iobit 'set it and forget it' method, or run Jkdefrag about once a week. Don't forget to run your 'cleaner' (ATF or CCleaner) first- no sense in defragging 'junk' files.

Also please remember, the files in the Windows folder 'belong' to XP. Yes, you can go there and do things if you want, but it is where XP 'lives.' Be very sure that you know exactly what the consequences are before making any changes there, OK?

Wayne Smith

Wayne Smith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks a lot for your reply!
I ran the Jkdefrag program and it seemed to achieve full defragmentation and found me
an extra bit of disk space into the bargain.
So I'll take your advice and run it once a week. Many thanks again!

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Anytime. :-)