Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Wireless problem

• Please log in to reply

RadicalRooster

RadicalRooster

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi!

I am usually alright with computers but this problem has me baffled!

I recently changed ISPs because my old one was slow, the new one sent me a new router, set it all up and all my computers in my house (all via WiFi) were getting speeds of between 4 and 8 meg which was great!

I use a PC and laptop, both with Vista, both via WiFi in the same room. Recently my PC's wireless card was playing up as it was only letting me connect to the router not the internet, so I bought a USB WiFi stick and when I first used it I was getting speeds of about 5 meg which was slightly slower than before but still very acceptable.

The problem I have now which has started about a week ago is my PC is now only getting speeds of about half a meg at best! Whilst my laptop which is sat right next to it on the same desk, the same distance from the router is getting speeds of around 4 meg. This has baffled me as nothing has changed since I bought the WiFi stick and was getting 4 meg speeds.

I thought it might be my ISP but its obviously not if my laptop is still getting fast speeds.
I thought I might be getting interfierence but I'm not as I haven't moved the router since getting it and nothing around it has moved.
So this has lead me to think that something on my PC has changed? What though I don't know!

I have done all the usual spyware/anti virus checks and it's clean, and I made sure I disabled the old WiFi card before using the new WiFi stick.

Any help would be great!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here to dslreports and take the tweak test

RadicalRooster

RadicalRooster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I did the test and this is what I got!

http://www.dslreport...8...&via=normal

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your using vista and the tweaks won't work on vista...
have you tried restore...go back a week or so before you started having issues

RadicalRooster

RadicalRooster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Oh I see!

Yes I have tried a restore and no change!

I am really baffled! I dont know why for the last week is has dropped? Today I was getting speeds of barely 200kbps!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and try a few different sites and test your speed

RadicalRooster

RadicalRooster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Slowest test I got was 200kbps fastest i got was just under 700kbps when before I was getting about 5mbps

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what were you using to test your speeds...

RadicalRooster

RadicalRooster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
http://www.broadband...dchecker.co.uk/

I always use that one so I have acurate results

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
since its just the one computer having the problem...try locating possible devices interfering with your network. There are lots of different types of devices that could be interfering ..... another wireless network..(neighbor's) microwaves and cordless phones....fans...anything electrical...try moving the computer to a different location ....