Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive Erase?

• Please log in to reply

liddley

liddley

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all,
Could anyone help me with erasing my hard drive and starting a fresh with windows xp.
My computer is full of rubbish and viruses and i would like to erase everything on the hard drive and start from scratch with a new installation of windows xp. Any advice on the right way to erase everything and any tips on settings when installing a fresh copy of windows would be much appreciated. :)

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello liddley and welcome to Geeks To Go.

A format in my own opinion is overkill when most of this could be fixed for you without losing any data

I reccomend that you post this problem in our malware removal forum. Please read the following topic here and then post your problem here.
Please post your problem there where our experts will be more than happy to assist you :) They will help you safely speed up your system and if you have any questions they will answer them.

I can only advise doing this if you still want to format please reply and i'll give directions but I would try that first before doing a format.

Regards

liddley

liddley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for that i will have a look at those posts.
But if you dont mind advice on starting a fresh by formating would be much appreciated for future referance. :) that would be great.

liddley

liddley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
another quick question!
The main problem my pc seems to have are run time errors when ever i open some programs especially anything to do with the internet 20 to 30 boxes will pop up sayong runtime error and i have to cancel them to proceed. is this just a problem with the registry or is it some sort of virus? :)

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello liddley

I certainly wouldn't mind telling you how to format at a later date if you wanted me to but first do the malware removal, but again if you want to format just let me know and i'll help you with a format.

As regards to runtime all that is is an operation by a program.

Runtime Article

I'm not sure what the exact cause is with the internet 20 to 30 boxes but I wouldn't mess around with the registry as you could make more problems for your-self in the future. What I would do first off is download the latest version of Internet Explorer, remove the version you have now and install it again and see if that fixes that issue, if not it could be a virus which the Malware Team will be able to help you with.

Regards

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there liddley :)

We have a tutorial for format and reinstall, should you decide not to follow wizzy2k5's instructions.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-t173729.html

Troy

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Cheers for that Troy as I never saw that and has saved me alot of typing :) liddley if you wish to format please use the link provided by Troy as this is the easiest method. My-self personally if I have alot of junk I prefer to do whats called a zero fill but that requires a different approach :) please stick to the link above.

Thanks again

liddley

liddley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks guys!

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Your welcome liddley if you need anymore help please feel free to ask.

Regards