Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vga no signal problem

• Please log in to reply

Project

Project

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi geekstogo community. I have a problem with my monitor, Recently I've upgraded my power supply and graphics. The problem is that when I booted up the computer, everything runs and works except the monitor which gives me the "vga no signal" error everytime. I realized that I forgot to change my bios to disable the onboard to pci-e but even still, If i just pluged it back into the onboard it still should allow me back into bios right?. What I have already done to try to fix it is:
1. switching back the old psu
2. check my memory
3. check the processor
4. check all drives
5. restart cmos(Which i'm lost on. I removed the battery and pushed the power supply for 30 secs and let it rest for 1 hr.I'm not sure if thats the way to do it though.)
Now I'm gonna buy a new vga cable and hopefully it works. Anyone have other ways I can fix this? I really don't want to send it to the shops to fix it.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Hi geekstogo community. I have a problem with my monitor, Recently I've upgraded my power supply and graphics.

Hello Project

I take it when you say upgraded your graphics I guess you mean installed a new graphics card? Did you plug the vga-vga lead into the card or did you put it in the onboard one? If you put this into the onboard one it will not work as the card will take priority. You must plug the lead into the card and not the onboard.

Resetting the cmos will not do anything at all, this battery is for the time, date etc...., have you also tried the lead on a different monitor to make sure the lead hasn't gone? Have you also tried the monitor on another computer?

Have you also installed the graphics card correctly and make sure it is firmly in place? if there is a power socket on the card have you plugged the power into that?

Please reply to all the questions I have asked.

Regards

Project

Project

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi wizzy, thanks for replying. I have left my vga plug on my nvidia geforce 8800gt and I'm 100% sure its been pushed all the way into the pci-e slot. I have connected the 6 pin connector to it also cause without it my computer makes a weird loud whirring sound. As for trying it on a different monitor my answer is no. I currently only have 1 monitor and no spare vga plugs at all.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Project

Thanks for answering them few questions for me as it gives me something to go from. The error you are getting "no signal" is either related to the card, vga lead, monitor, that is the only componets I can pin point it to. If it was memory (as in ram) you would normally get beep codes to indicate an error, if it was your motherboard it wouldn't start at all, you wouldn't even get the no signal error.

Lets see if I can try and get you further on with your problem. Was your old graphics card working fine till you upgraded it to the new card? if yes try plugging the old card back in and see if the monitor comes on and see if you get past the no signal error. (if onboard take the new card out and switch to onboard graphics)

Just to be on the safe side do you know anyone with a computer where you can test the vga lead and monitor? if so do that aswell and if they are fine they can be ruled out and then you can concentrate on the graphics card.

If you can do the following for me that would be great and also reply back with any information that I have requested.

Regards

Project

Project

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the reply wizzy. I have tried to plug the vga connector back into my onboard and it gives me the same error without the graphic card in, Which makes me worry a whole lot more now. It was working fine before I inserted the graphic card in. As you have said the graphic card would've have overrided the onboard. As for trying the monitor somewhere, I could arrange something with a friend to help me out, problem is our availability. Also I have noticed that people talk about if the graphic card is compaitble with their mobo. Its a nVIDIA nForce 430 Chipset just to let you know.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Project

I have tried to plug the vga connector back into my onboard and it gives me the same error without the graphic card in

I wouldn't worry yet as it could be a simple matter that your VGA lead has gone, I hope you haven't blown your motherboard which would be worst case but if you can get the monitor and lead tested on another machine that would be great.

I realized that I forgot to change my bios to disable the onboard to pci-e but even still, If i just pluged it back into the onboard it still should allow me back into bios right?

It will do if you haven''t blown your motherboard and this is what I want to rule out. If you can get your VGA lead and monitor tested somewhere it will help me pin point the problem alot more.

Regards

Project

Project

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Wizzy, back after 3 days of trying to fix it and it is fixed now. Turns out my mobo was acting up and I've replaced it with one and everything works now. Problem is that I now have a hardware that needs a driver, but the device is unknown, Anyway you can help me with that?

Edited by Project, 22 January 2009 - 12:44 AM.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Project

What I would do first is install everything from the manufacturers website and not off the disc as they will have updated drivers for your motherboard. Download everything you see apart from Firmware updates. (yes that includes the bios) You will need the make and model of your motherboard to do this. If you do not know where this is located then you can use a program such as WinAudit to find this information out.

If you have any pci devices such as sound cards, graphics cards etc also try re-installing the drivers for them.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 22 January 2009 - 04:20 AM.