Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to tweak Acrobat 6 Standard to work w/ Vista

• Please log in to reply

ohsogirly

ohsogirly

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello Geeks to Go world! :)

Hoping someone can help me. I'm trying to help out my dad who has Vista. I loaded Acobat 6.0 Standard for him and he's saying it won't let him do anything. He get's a ton of .pdf emails from attorneys that 80% of the time are scanned into Adobe on their end. Rarely are they imported form Word. The only thing he needs to be able to do is add comments to the .pdf he's looking at. He's a Private Investigator and these attorney's retain him for crime scene reenactments and so on.

So they email him the arrest files, attorney notes, etc and he reviews them and comments on back on the form itself and needs to email back. That's it.

So, my quest is what's the easiest way to tweak this? I'm going over today and wanna help him out. Can I export the file (weather scanned or imported on their end) to Word? Or when he opens the email and see's the attachment, maybe save as Acrobat 6? Or download regular, then right click, and go open with: Acrobat 6?

Also, what's the distiller do? I've been googling this and some people are talking about the distiller to make it work?

Any help is appreciated! I know Adobe doesn't support Acrobat 6 Standard for Vista because they want me to buy an updated version. But, I know someone out there figured a way to make it work. :) Please...........

Thank you! Mary

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If I understand you correctly. your Dad needs to make comments right on the pdf document.
I do not think that function was available till version 7 or 8.

If all you want is the reader, then the reader is free. And you can add comments right on the form and re save it.

I use adobe 8 for some editing of pdf files. For a little more advanced, I use a program called "PDF-Viewer".
It allows text editing, lines, highlighting, sticky notes, etc. It also fairly easy to use. His customer on the other end can still open them in pdf.

The viewer is free, they also have a advanced one but it costs.

PDF-Viewer

ohsogirly

ohsogirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Any idea why some of them (for whatever reason) he's saying he can add notes/comments to and other's he can't? I d/l Adobe Reader 9 for him also, so, you're saying he s/b able to add comments to that?

I thought you can export the file outta Adobe or import it into Word if you had a version of Acrobat? Do you happen to know what the distiller is for? Main purpose?

Btw, thank you very much! I keep checking for responses. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I can't remember exactly why/ why not he cant do the comments on some. It has been a while. I vaquely remember it is on the end with the person who creates the document. It has to do with how they code it to be used.

There are converters from pdf to word. I have not tried them.

PDF to WORD

Have you looked at pdf viewer?