Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant Windows Installer at Start Up - Roxio

• Please log in to reply

SuzanneW

SuzanneW

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Computer Info:

Windows XP SP3
HP Pavilion zv6000 notebook
AMD Athlon 64
3200+
997 MHz, 1.12 GB RAM

This problem began when Roxio Music Lab 9 began to try to install itself automatically every time I turned on the computer. The software was ALREADY installed, had been installed for some time in fact, and had been used many times. Every time the computer was turned on, a windows installer window would appear and then try to install Music Lab. Eventually it would change to another window which requested a missing .dll file. If you hit "cancel", it would start back over again. There was no apparent way to stop it from loading.

So I tried to uninstall Roxio Music Lab 9, only to find out that Add/Remove Programs and then 2 other 3rd part software uninstallers would not uninstall it. Instead I received "missing uninstall file" errors.

I then tried Roxio's suggested "Clean Install" directions, found at their website. These wanted me to download and install Windows Install Cleaner utility. But whenever I tried to install Windows Install Cleaner utility, it would tell me another instance of Windows Installer was running already.

I tried to install the utility in Safe Mode but received a "you do not have administrative privileges" notice, though I was logged in as administrator. In the end, I was able to install it, by being quicker on start up than the autorun Roxio installation.

But after the utility was installed, Roxio was not in the list of Programs. So I tried reinstalling Roxio over itself, but it said "this program is already on your computer".

Then began an endless task of deleting folders and registry keys manually.

After spending an entire afternoon doing this, I have managed to remove the Roxio portion of the error. It still constantly tries to load windows installer, but no longer brings up the "missing dll" window. The window installer loading window flashes quickly 5 or 6 times in succession and then stops. If you wait a few more minutes, it happens again.

I am at a total loss as to what is causing this, despite removing so many folders, files, and registry keys. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...