Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up wireless network

• Please log in to reply

kelltech

kelltech

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

I am trying to set up file/printer sharing on my home wireless network. I am following the steps in the 'Home Networking & Printer/File Sharing' thread and I am at step 8 (8. Highlight the “File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks” and click the OK button). At this point, I don't have the option to highlight this, I only see 'Client Service for Netware' in the select network client box.

Basically, I have one desktop wired to the wirless (Belkin) modem and I have 2 wireless desktops and 3 wireless laptops I am trying to tie together so all can use the printer and share files. All pc's can connect to the internet. Do I need to purchase 3rd party software to do this? One more thing; all run XP except 2 laptops that have Vista.

I appreciate any help!

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey kelltech,

Do I need to purchase 3rd party software to do this?

Nope :) SpaceCowboy's guide should do the trick.

I am following the steps in the 'Home Networking & Printer/File Sharing' thread and I am at step 8 (8. Highlight the “File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks” and click the OK button). At this point, I don't have the option to highlight this, I only see 'Client Service for Netware' in the select network client box.

Do you have Client for Microsoft Networks in that list? If so, continue -- if not, let me know and ignore the rest of this post, please.

To install the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks service, please do the following:
  • Goto Start then right-click on My Network Places and select Properties (you may need to go into Control Panel to find it depending on how you have your PC setup).
  • Right-click on your Local Area Connection and select Properties
  • In the new window, select the General tab and then press the Install.. button
  • In the new window, select Service and then press the Add button
  • In the new window, select File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and select OK.
  • Restart your computer.
You should now see the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks in the list; do you?

- Dan

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hi Dan, and thank you for your help. Networking is not a strong skill at all for me!

I went in to the LAN properties and selected Client for Microsoft Networks; Install; Service; and then I get a popup that says "Windows was unable to find any drivers for this device. If you have a disc that contains the updated driver, or you wish to search in another location clik OK."

In my network connections, I have 2 available local area connections. One is local area connection 4 (marvell yukon) and is connected. The other is local area connection 5 (NVIDIA nForce networking controller) and is unplugged. Should these be bridged?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

I went in to the LAN properties and selected Client for Microsoft Networks; Install; Service; and then I get a popup that says "Windows was unable to find any drivers for this device. If you have a disc that contains the updated driver, or you wish to search in another location clik OK."

Are you sure your Network Adapter drivers are properly installed?

In my network connections, I have 2 available local area connections. One is local area connection 4 (marvell yukon) and is connected. The other is local area connection 5 (NVIDIA nForce networking controller) and is unplugged. Should these be bridged?

Do you know which adapter you're using? Please do the following:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Once the above command completes, type route print > C:\route.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text files ipconfig.txt and route.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of these files into your next response.
Can you confirm that Client for Microsoft Networks is in the list?

But it's sounding like you may have tried this on the wrong adapter? That error usually happens if you don't have any drivers installed, so I'm a little confused.

- Dan

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I'm not sure if the drivers are installed correctly. I ran an update on the marvel yukon, and I am connecting to the internet. I can say that Client for Microsoft Networks is in the list for each of these, as well as for the 1394 net adapter, which is connected.

As far as which adapter is being used, the Nvidia one has no cable plugged into it and says 'network cable is unplugged.' I have the router plugged into the marvel yukon. Here are those texts, I'm also including a screen of the network connections:

IP Config:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : pc1

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-31-90-18-1E

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller #2

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-31-90-22-4C

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:03:10 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 9:14:07 PM

===========================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x2 ...00 17 31 90 18 1e ...... NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
0x3 ...00 17 31 90 22 4c ...... Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller #2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1 192.168.2.2 20
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
169.254.0.0 255.255.0.0 192.168.2.2 192.168.2.2 20
192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.2 192.168.2.2 20
192.168.2.2 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 20
192.168.2.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.2.2 192.168.2.2 20
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.2.2 192.168.2.2 20
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.2.2 192.168.2.2 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.2.2 2 1
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
Persistent Routes:
None

Attached Thumbnails

• ss.JPG

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

I'm not sure if the drivers are installed correctly.

Everything looks good. I'm not sure why you're getting that error; have you tried running these steps on any of your other computers? Do they encounter the same issues? If they do, I think we'll just go ahead and run the Network Setup Wizard to see if it'll run to completion.

I believe you said you have two Vista laptops? On one of these, can you please do the following:
  • Press Start
  • In the Start Search field type network and select Network and Sharing Center
  • In the new window, under the Sharing and Discovery section, can you please tell me the status of Network Discovery, File sharing and Printer sharing? If any of these are OFF, can you try turning them ON; what happens? If they turn on fine, try repeating these steps on the other laptop and then look in the Network Places -- can the two laptops see each other?
- Dan

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Both Vista laptops have all of those turned on, except one laptop does not have printer sharing on. When I try to turn it on it says no printers are found. (The printer is at the wired desktop location, desktop A). The laptops do not see each other.

On wireless desktops B and C, I tried to run the install “File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks” but it also is not available on either pc. Only "Service Advertising Protocol" is there.

All computers connect to the internet fine.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
On one of the XP computers, can you please go ahead and run the Network Setup Wizard -- are you able to complete all of the steps?

On one of the Vista machines, go to a folder that you would like to share, right-click on it and select Properties -- select the Sharing tab and then choose Advanced Sharing. Check Share this folder and then select Apply. Can the other laptop now see this one in Network Places?

If you still cannot see the laptops, please disable any software-based firewalls and try again. If you still can't share folders, please do the following on both Vista machines:
  • Press Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd and press the ENTER key
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Once the above command finishes, type nbtstat -n > C:\nbtstat.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt and nbtstat.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of these files into your next response.

- Dan

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Ok:
Got the Vista laptops connected and sharing files, and both laptops are printing wirelessly to the printer on PC1.

All desktops can see each other and the Vista laptops as well as print.

The XP Dell laptop can see the main PC1 desktop and can print wirelessly. It can't see the Vista laptops, but the main thing is printing from each one for work and school.

Problem solved without expensive software! Thank you a million times, Dan! :)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Fantastic :) I'm glad to hear you got things up and running :) Don't hesitate to post if you have any other issues/concerns etc.

Happy to help.
- Dan