Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall XP - hampered by Virus & Other Problems

• Please log in to reply

stackman1

stackman1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello guys & gals...this may be a long message but my machine has been so screwed up that I have to make the most of being able to type.
I have two relatively old Dell laptops - Inspiron 1100 (6 yrs old); Inspiron 2500 (7 yrs old). Last summer I decided to try my hand at Linux and wiped out the 2500 and installed Ubuntu 7.1 - I have yet to get that to connect to the internet so for all intents and purposes - that is useless ( I ordered a new version of 8.1 from Shipit.com and that has yet to arrive - my hope is that that will help the 2500).

My problem is with this machine the 1100. My problems arose with the touchpad going crazy, I re-installed the drivers w/ the help of Dell Chat but they ultimately told me to re-install XP which I am more than happy to do (although it does worry me because I always seem to have trouble (mental block) when it comes to setting up my internet connections. The problem is that my built in CD-Rom died years ago. I do however have an external Iomega CD-RW connected via USB. I am currently running Service Pack 3. When I plug the Iomega into the machine - I see the XP Setup contents fine- however as the Dell Guy told me you cannot re-install XP from within XP.

I have changed the boot order in set-up but clearly the cd-rom opttion is referring to the unworkable one in my laptop and I don't see anything in my Phoenix Setup that allowis me to point to my USB Iomega drive. I am pretty sure I have a very bad virus/worm.....but have moved all my important docs to a Western Digital USB HD - So I am fine with reformatting my drive if that would help.

In the course of doing all my debugging I ran diagnostics on everything; all was well except my hard drive: I got the following Error Code that is probably meaningful only to Dell "00F0:1A44; Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected" - it then started listing all the bad blocks starting with 6445664 (I stopped writing down the block numbers after it hit abot 10 and aborted my Hard Drive Read Test.

So I started reading my old books again to try to understand the mechanics of boot-up.
1.) The Bios resides on a ROM chip?
2.) The Bios (or someother program on the ROM chip) controls which devices can be utilized for the boot-up process?
3.) I think I have the latest BIOS; I flashed my Bios through the Dell website about 5 months ago....

My guess is my hard drive is virus ridden and that was why my blocks were bad. So what should I know?.

First of all is a USB External Hard Drive or External CD Rom considered a SCSI device?

Do 'boot orders' in Setup allow for USB booting?

If I was to physically put in a new ROM (CMOS Chip?) would that allow me to point to my external CR Rom.

Finally before my machine crashes again - is my thinking correct that - the Setup Screen display is actually being presented from the BIOS software. And the Bios Software is on a physical separate chip - often called the CMOS Chip? And after the user saves his boot order changes - the BIOS attempts to transfer control to the Hard Drive or CD Rom etc...do I have this correct?

I hope this made sense.....Any fundamental knowledge about the inner workings of boot up are welcome as well....Thanks for listening - Peter

(I am surpised I was able to get this message out there in the ether; the clouds must have parted temporarily) - If I don't respond right away it is because my machine is once again behaving badly!

Advertisements