Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Pentium 4 VS Dual core....

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked




  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I guess i need a little education, I havent had the Privilege to try out a dual core processor, really never had the need to. I do alot of gaming on my PC and i havent had a game yet that i cant run on medium/high defenition. Alot of the newer games out call for a dual core processor to run. One game inperticular is "Silent Hill 6 Home Coming", here are the min. stats for this game...

Minimum Configuration:

OS : Windows� XP (with SP2) or Windows Vista� (with SP1)
Processor : Dual Core CPU such as Intel� Core 2 Duo E6400 or AMD Athlon? 64 X2 4200+
Memory : 1 GB Windows XP / 2 GB Windows Vista
Hard Drive : 10 GB Free
Graphics : DirectX 9.0c compatible Video Card such as ATI? Radeon HD-series graphics card (minimum 256 MB) or NVIDIA? GeForce 7800-series graphics card (minimum 256 MB)
Sound Card : DirectX 9.0c compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers

NOTE: those are the min requirements.....here are the stats of my PC

OS : Windows xp SP2
Processor : Pentium 4 3.0 gig ( overclocked/rated to 4.49 gig )
Memory : 4 gigs of Kingston DDR SDRAM ( only 3040 MB detected )
Hard Drive : 500 gig Western Digital WD Caviar Blue WD5000KS 7200 RPM/16 mb cache, Sata
Graphics : ATI Radeon 2400 HD pro 256MB/with directx 10 ( overclocked by Rivatuner )
Sound Card : Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium/directx 9.0c compatible w/ the latest drivers

I bought the game....and im running it w/ 80% of the graphic details on high and the other 20% on Medium. Is it really that necessary for me to update to a dual core and strip my pentium 4 if im running all the latest games in medium/high to high defenition w/o any problems, sure im overclocked but im running a cool 30 to 50 degrees at all times even during hrs of hard gaming. Im still trying to figure out why dual core is getting all this hype and my Pentium 4 is running fast enough to handle the dual core games......

Edited by Clinetyme, 19 January 2009 - 09:06 PM.

  • 0


Neil Jones

Neil Jones

    Member 5k

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dual-core processors are effectively two brains on one chip. Which basically means you could send certain processes to be tied up by one processor while leaving the other one for any other work, hence speeding things up dramatically.
If you have DDR memory then you have a Socket 478 solution which is not dual-core capable, and for that you'd have to replace the board, processor, possibly graphics card, and the memory to go down that route.

Everything moves on unfortunately and the older computers just get left behind. There's little point making stuff that run on yesterday's technology. We'd all still be using vinyl and tape players if that were the case. There will come a point where performance of a new game will become sluggish on your computer and at that point the system will be obsolete. Whatever you buy is obsolete as soon as you buy it - you knock 10% of the value of your new car off as soon as you drive it away.
  • 0



    System building expert

  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
this guy already has 1 thread open that has been answered also.

I will close this thread as it is a double post..

Go here for the main topic.


Thx for the comment neil.
  • 0

Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP