Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to update computer, disk defrag problem, windows malicious soft

• Please log in to reply

alpha123

alpha123

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My computer is unable to update. I cannot download updates from the Microsoft Update or Windows Update sites. I have found that when I go to services.msc, the Automatic Updates service is disabled. However, when I set it to automatic and start it, it disables itself shortly after, thus not allowing me to get the updates.

Disk Defragmenter is also having problems. When I run it, it says "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on Volume C:. Please run Chkdsk /f". When I do that in the Command Prompt, it asks me if I want to run chkdsk when I restart my computer. I type in Y (for yes), and restart it, but it doesnt run the chkdsk, and I still get the same message pop up when I try to defrag.

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool doesnt run. It gets to the extracting files, then nothing happens after that. Its as if I never clicked it in the first place. The mrt.exe file is not in C:\Windows\system32. I tried to copy it from another computer, move it to my comp via flash drive, and put it into system 32, but it deletes itself.

I went looking for help all around the internet and I really dont want to have to totally reboot my computer and lose all my files. I have scanned my computer with Trend Micro Internet Security, but there are no viruses, malware, or whatever else.

Please help me!

Advertisements

abneb217

abneb217

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi Alpha123,

I would run HijackThis and post the log in the Malware section of the site. If you can't install/run HJT, then it's definitely a malware/virus problem.

You can download HJT from HERE or HERE

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
:)

abneb217,

You are on the right track (good job BTW :)) , there probably is an infection on the machine...
However, rather than directing a user to run HJT, it would be better to send them to the Must Read before Posting sticky. This will give the user easy, safe, and full instructions on what to do.

Perhaps you are interested in GeekU? More details in this sticky :)

alpha123,

Like already said, you most likely have an infected machine.. Please Click Here, to be taken to a post with full instructions on what to do. Once you have gone through all the steps, if you are still having troubles, THEN, you may post a log as described in the link given above. Be descriptive of you problem and be patient! Good Luck!

abneb217

abneb217

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Good point Piano9playa - my bad.
I'll keep that in mind for next time.
(sent in an application for GeekU - thanks.

alpha123

alpha123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It turns out that I had a handful of "Trojan.Vundo"s. I removed them with Malwarebytes and the disk defrag problem is cleared now. After I removed the virus' and rebooted, it did the chkdsk and fixed disc defrag.

However I still have problems with windows malicious software removal tool and updating my computer. There's also three vundo virus' that are refusing to be deleted. I scan with Malwarebytes and remove them, but I immediately experience a huge slowdown and the inablilty to shut my computer off aside from holding down the power button. When I turn it back on, they are still there. It said it was in a registry key or something like that. I tried VundoFix and the other vundo removal program, but both dont seem to be able to detect them at all.

Should I download Highjack This and post my log or is there something I'm missing? I'm not very computer savvy.

Edit: I just opened Task Manager and my CPU Usage is at a constant 100% now.

Edited by alpha123, 21 January 2009 - 02:34 AM.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
alpha123

Just continue through the rest of the guide and don't worry if you can't run certain tools. At the end, if you're still having problems, post the log in the Malware Removal forum with a description of problems...

There are clear instructions at the end of the guide that will tell you what exactly to do next...

abneb217

Good for you! :)

alpha123

alpha123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yay its fixed! I turned my computer on today and it appears that the Vundo left. I can update, run WMSRT, and use my disk defrag now. Thank you so much!

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Your Welcome... Thanks for letting us know the outcome.... :)