Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Volume Up/Down Bar disappeared

• Please log in to reply

justdilly

justdilly

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I hope someone knows what I am talking about. I don't know what it's called. It has bars that look like a UPC code. It pops up on the desktop when I am playing my music and hit the Up or Down buttons on the keyboard. I have Windows XP Home with SP 2 and using IE 6. Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
post a screenshot for us...

justdilly

justdilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
happyrock..............what do you want a screen shot of? The volume slider doesn't show up on my screen anymore, that's the problem.

If you turn on your TV and hit the volume Up or Down button on the TV remote you will see the volume control on the screen sliding up or down. That's what I am looking for on my PC screen. I have used it for years but it's gone now and I don't know why.

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I hope someone knows what I am talking about. I don't know what it's called. It has bars that look like a UPC code. It pops up on the desktop when I am playing my music and hit the Up or Down buttons on the keyboard. I have Windows XP Home with SP 2 and using IE 6. Thanks for the help.

Hello justdilly,

Did you recently make any changes to the system?

I think that feature is actually part of the Keyboard driver.

Maybe check the startup and make sure that the software is starting with the system or reinstall the keyboard/mouse software. (hotkeys or something)

Just a guess. Probably not much help huh?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I don't know what it's called. It has bars that look like a UPC code. It pops up on the desktop when I am playing my music and hit the Up or Down buttons on the keyboard

I need to see what this is...

justdilly

justdilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, I think maybe the problem started when one of my dogs chewed my keyboard cable in two. It was a Compaq keyboard, bundled with my PC. I replaced it with a keyboard that did not have the volume buttons on it. Then I bought a new keyboard that does have volume control buttons. I don't have software for either of them. I have tried System Restore... several different dates and that doesn't help.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep looking for answers to this problem.