Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't change internet options in control panel!

• Please log in to reply

MysteryMaster

MysteryMaster

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hey there,

I would appreciate some input from you :)

for some reason the "apply" button is disabled, in internet options. I'm talking about accessing it through the control panel (not through the IE browser)... what could be the cause of that and how can I change it back?

Thanks for all your help in advance :)

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

What AV do you run and what is its status? Some Malware will disable the internet control panel so that changes can not be made...

MysteryMaster

MysteryMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hey Mark,

Doing well, how r u?
I use Avira, and I use the Sygate firewall...

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Hello again,

I is over worked and dumped on all the time but that the life of an IT geek..("Why did my hard drive start to click? What did I do???", I HATE when they ask me that..)

:)

But I am off the point.. Last full scan of your system was? ... Not that it may show you much. Has your home page changed? What security level is your internet set to?

You are using IE7? Firefox? Google Chrome?

Note: Down here its already dark and we will shortly retire, so it might not be til tomorrow when I respond again..

MysteryMaster

MysteryMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Sorry to hear that... get some sleep! :)

Scanned my system today, and the homepage hasn't changed. My internet security is set to a custom level, which I haven't really changed in any way lately.

I'm using IE7, Firefox and Opera (depending on the speed and which one annoys me, heh...)

Reply whenever you can - nighty nite :)

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Sun's UP

Do a test by making a new user profile, (Control Panel -> User Accounts). I'd make it a Computer Administrator and once its created, log into it and see if your internet control panel is normal.

If it is normal then something has altered your existing profile. If its the same, (Apply button disabled), then the corruption is within the op system or a program has locked it that effects all users...

MysteryMaster

MysteryMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok, I checked it with a new administrator account and it's the same! Apply button is disabled :) what should I do now?

Any ideas?

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Hi Again,

I checked out your firewall and it was last released back in 2005? But I did find this on the web as well:

1. Start -> Run
2. Type regedit and click "OK"
3. Scroll to the top and double-click the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder
to open it.
4. Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, double-click Software.
5. Under Software, double-click Policies.
6. Under Policies, double-click Microsoft.
7. Under Microsoft, double-click Internet Explorer. If you don't see Internet Explorer, skip to step 9. 7. Under Internet Explorer, double-click Restrictions. If you don't see Restrictions, skip to step 9. 8. You should see a key called NoBrowserOptions, with the value 1. Hold down the right mouse button over NoBrowserOptions to display a menu. Choose "Delete" from that menu and confirm. If you don't see NoBrowserOptions, skip to step 9.
9. Repeat steps 1-8, but this time start with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE instead of HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
You should now have no trouble accessing "Internet Options" from the "Tools" menu.

This site did mention that you may still have some malware that may try to re-establish itself. Right now I'm trying to figure out if the Admin change in the US has affected the MS activation portal, as I can't activate MS Windows anymore via the internet( :) ) If I try the telephone method it directs me to a new number THAT DOESN'T EVEN EXIST!!! So right now I'm a bit distracted, but check out the suggested solution. There is no other adware or anything else recently installed on your system?

MysteryMaster

MysteryMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
This totally worked, awesome!!!!

Thanks so much :)

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Glad to hear back. Your system may have been attacked by something that didn't fully lodge. I'd check the internet control panel for the next few days to see if it disables again..

AND MS activation via the internet works this AM... :)

How do I tell my client that his system had to spend another night in my workshop cuz MS was refusing activation?? :)

MysteryMaster

MysteryMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'll definitely do that... thanks :) I also ran a few more checks to see if there's anything else going on there, but so far I didn't find anything, but I'm a bit suspicious, too...

About your MS troubles, I would tell him the truth that MS sucks sometimes... maybe there was a problem with their website (?) god knows... obviously there was nothing you could do about it, but I'm glad it worked out after all :)

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
I dunno. Down here, apples are pretty scarce, (too far from the tree... :) ). MS (even with the Vista fiasco), is better me thinks..

MysteryMaster

MysteryMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
What, there are no trees down there? :) I've never been there, but I hear it's beautiful.

I'm not a big MAC fan either, but sometimes MS is very bad when it comes to service - and evil Vista, i would never use... this OS is a nightmare :)

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
By far from the tree, I mean there are almost no Apple shops. Sometimes I'd find a shop but on my next trip back in would be closed already.
It is nice down here where we live

This pic I took yesterday is about a 1/2 hr walk from where we live...

IMG_1018.JPG

Of course, we are near the "Cape of Storms" and sometimes the seas will have 20' swells but it still not too crowded and the Southern Right Whales spend 1/2 the year within 100' of the shore sometimes... I would not live in the bigger cities. Sure the "buzz" is there, but there's also too many idiots

As far as Vista, my 1st experience with it was to throw the notebook against a wall as it wouldn't register my left mouse clicks, (it seemed to be registering behind the window I was in. We figured out the the 1st thing we had to do was UPDATE. After that the mouse would work ok, but since SP1 its actually not too bad, but folks that have previously used another op system get terribly annoyed being asked if they know what they are doing all the time... :)