Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Screen Laptop Problem

• Please log in to reply

nforcer06164

nforcer06164

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm running a dual screen setup in Windows XP on a Dell E1505 laptop. Both screens are running at their maximum resolution of 1440x900 (laptop, primary) and 1280x1024 (external, secondary). I have extended desktop on so both screens display differently. When I close my laptop, the secondary screen switches to the primary screen.

I have many problems with this. Most prominent is the issue with icons on my primary display. I have many icons on my desktop and use them frequently. When I close the screen, the external display "squishes" my icons and when my laptop is re-opened, the "squished" icons do not reset. If I want to watch a movie by dragging a media player onto the secondary display, I cannot close my laptop as it will switch to the primary.

What I'd like to know is how I might be able to lock my primary display and not have the secondary screen switch without having to change a setting every time (like disabling the second before closing the laptop). My graphics card is an ATI Radeon X1300.

Advertisements