Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to install a Wireles Network

• Please log in to reply

Cyberstud

Cyberstud

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I appologize for my poor english, I'm from the Netherlands
It's driving me crazy that I cannot find the help I need in all the available forums and Windows help-topics.

This is my setup:
1 PC with Windows XP
1 Router
1 Laptop
The PC is connected with the Router trough a LAN-cable.
The laptop connects with the router through a wireless connection.
The router is connected with the Internet through an ADSL-cable.
The laptop and the PC can connect with the internet without problems.

I want to connect the PC with the laptop so I can use the printer wich is connected to the PC from the laptop. I also want to be able to use file's on the other drive's.
I've tried to make a small office network, but then I have to choose to make the PC the central computer through which the laptop connects to the internet. But I don't want that, I want to use the internet from the laptop when the PC is shut off. Like it is now.
And then it ends. Nowhere can I find how to use the Router to connect the PC with the laptop without detouring the laptop.

Can anyone help me with this?

Advertisements

abneb217

abneb217

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi Cyberstud,

You should have posted this in the Networking section of the site - probably would have gotten a quicker response.

Anyway, if you haven't done so yet, I would start by reading this excellent NETWORKING GUIDE by Spacecowboy.

If that doesn't help, does your laptop also have XP?

Cyberstud

Cyberstud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Abneb,

Thanks! I'll try it tomorrow (Its getting late here)

I'll let you know how it went.