Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dead PC?!

• Please log in to reply

RadicalRooster

RadicalRooster

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, I was uploading photos to Facebook when my PC froze, no mouse or keyboard, so I pressed the restart button... However from now on it just goes to a blank screen.

I tried a few times including turning it off at the wall but nothing. You can hear everything start up but themonitor displays nothing, no bios, just blank. The mouse lights up but no keyboard lights.

I have tried:

Unplugging everything USB and turning it on... Same problem
Putting in the Vista recovery disc... Same problem

What's gone wrong and how can I fix it?! Any help very much appreciated!

Advertisements

pbar25

pbar25

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm not an expert, as I'm waiting for my own support...

But can you switch out the monitor with a different one in order to eliminate that possibility?

RadicalRooster

RadicalRooster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The monitor works fine as when you turn the power on at the wall it comes up with the Acer logo and then goes blank as its its waiting for the computer to load so its definitely not the monitor

Edit

To add further information I don't get any 'beeps' usually i get one just as the BIOS is loading but I get nothing

Edited by RadicalRooster, 20 January 2009 - 03:16 PM.

pbar25

pbar25

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
When you say "at the wall" -- are you stating that you are turning the computer on and off with a light switch, or flipping a power strip on & off?

RadicalRooster

RadicalRooster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The power socket straight at the wall which the extension cord witht he computer/printer etc plugged into

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello RadicalRooster...

Is this a notebook or a desktop machine?

wannabe1

RadicalRooster

RadicalRooster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi!

This is a desktop PC

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you are comfortable working inside the case, you might try resetting the CMOS.

To clear the CMOS, you'll need to remove the motherboard battery. It's about the size of a quarter and is usually located in the lower right quarter of the Motherboard. Near the battery (either below or to the right on most) you should see 3 small pins with a jumper block on them. On some boards the jumper is labeled "Reset CMOS" or "Reset"...others might use a label like "CLRTC" It should look like this, where the underscore represents the jumper . . . Move the jumper to the other pins . . . for about 30 seconds and then move it back to it's original position. Put the battery back in, making sure to put it in + side up. Try to boot your machine.

Some motherboards do not have a jumper for clearing the CMOS. If you find this to be the case for you, remove the battery and leave it out for an hour or so. Then reinstall the battery and see if it will boot.

Note that this will clear the date, time, and restore all default settings to the BIOS. You will have to reset any settings you have changed such as Boot Priority. If you are not using a static strap, keep one hand or your arm touching the metal part of the case to prevent static discharge damage to the Motherboard and it's components while you do this.

Be sure to disconnect from the wall socket before attempting anything inside the case.

RadicalRooster

RadicalRooster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok I will give this a go...

But incase this does not work what could be another possible solution?

Also why would this happen all of a sudden with normal useage?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I honestly have no idea what caused this or even what the problem is at this point. We need to get some video before we can do any serious troubleshooting. It's too early in the game to effectively rule anything out.

gt5032

gt5032

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Gateway GT5032 that has your symptoms and failed the same way, froze up, would not shut down, etc. Now no POST beep, just fans and lights. Mine and a bunch of others all have failed motherboards. Acer may have used the same parts? I have an Athlon 64x2 socket 939 based board. I did all the tips I could find on this forum and others, nothing helped. I had my power supply checked, they said it was OK, but I would like to try another just for the heck of it, thats the only thing I have not done, you may try that.

RadicalRooster

RadicalRooster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
So did it turn out to be the motherboard? How much are these to replace?

I am going to try and take it apart tonight... Mine's a custom made PC so I'm not sure what the motherboard is... Do these just 'burn' out easily? I have noticed that prior to this the fans did come on high speed more often.

RadicalRooster

RadicalRooster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok so I took it apart and had a play...

tried unplugging the graphics card, RAM, etc still nothing, used a volt metre and there is power going throught he PSU so its not that so I am thinking itmay very well be the Motherboard... Its an Asus one and I heard quite a few of these had problems?

gt5032

gt5032

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have not fixed it. It uses a BTX form MB, Foxconn C51GU01. They are hard to locate and the only ones I could find are refurbed, no warranty, and close to 300.00. I am reluctant to spend that on a board that may fail in a short time. I may purchase a barebones and transfer all my parts. If I did not have to purchase another operating system, I would have done it by now, but as of late I am short on $$.