Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP SP2 PC won't start

• Please log in to reply

Lizzy_Rock

Lizzy_Rock

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My daughter's PC is refusing to start. Everything was fine last night, but when she tried to switch it on today, she can't get past the Windows XP screen with the blue scrolling bar.

All that happens is the screen shows a long list of info re System 32 Drivers, then the blue scrolling bar shows for a few seconds, the fans blow for about 2 seconds then the PC restarts itself. This just keep going around in circles and it's driving us mad. We have tried all the options: Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking, Safe Mode with command prompt, Most recent settings that worked and even let the timer countdown to let the PC start normally. But nothing.

Specs are: Philips Windows XP Medis Centre, Intel Pentium D820 (2.8GHz, 2*IM,800)
Memory: 1GB DDRII (400MHz)

All the security programmes are up to date and ran a few days ago. Nothing found.

Any help will be greatly received.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It looks like you have had a hardware failure at the most inopertune time. Most likely the computer has devekloped some bac sectors on the hard drive right in the area where Windows has the boot up programming. To test this i would use a Windows XP CD to boot up the computer with and see if the computer will get to a desktop that way. If it still does not get to a desktop there are some hardware failures that could cause it. Memory that is going bad could cause it. Again, the hard drive losing sectors could cause this.

A repair install may fix the problem( but i doubt it).

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If the repair install does not work it is time to start replacing hardware until the problem is fouind. Memory replacement is first( cheapest and easist). Maybe just checking the memory in another computer or using memtest 86 to check it will tell you. If not the memory i think it is the hard drive and replacing it would tel you if the drive is going bad. Every HD maker has utilities to test the hard drive if you want to look in the computer for the drive maker. go to the HD makers website and download their diagnostic software and burn it to a CD to run on the computer. Yhat will tell you if it's bad.

Sorry for the bad spelling. It took a day to figure out the wireless was being blocked by a hard drive i carelessly left next to the receiver.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 21 January 2009 - 08:33 PM.

Lizzy_Rock

Lizzy_Rock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply. Hardware failure, just what I need right now. I'll give the bootdisc a try and see if that works.