Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connections issues

• Please log in to reply

Israwill

Israwill

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I bought a HP laptop some months ago. It comes with Norton antivirus which expired and asked me to renew the license and I did it. I installed Norton 360, but never got totally installed. Under the tool bar appears an icon that it says "Norton 360 configuration is not complete" what it does is that it tells me it si finished the installation but never finishes it. If I try to do it by the "safe mode" it tells me the Norton does not run on safe mode.

After this time my firefox is not working anymore when I try to open it, tells me this "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at en-us.start2.mozilla.com." I bought Ad-Aware 2009 but I had trouble installing it. Finally I went to the safe mode and let me install it. When I am in safe mode Firefox works and everything. Similar problems I have with Windows media, real player, they don't connect to the internet and I can't see nothing. The only thing that connects to the internet is IE7. If I want to see a video in windows media it tells me I don't have any Internet connection. If I want to update the Ad-Adware it tells me the I don't have a Internet connection but I can update it using safe mode.

Please somebody help me, thanks

Israwill

Advertisements

gclipse02

gclipse02

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I could almost guarantee you that you have some type of the new viruses out, such as Antivirus 2009, which hijacks your browser. The latest variants even keep you from installing or running anti-malware programs.

Israwill

Israwill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I run MBAM and removed some malware. I tried to SDfix but is not running on safe mode. I tried to fix it according to the recommendations but not luck

Still my firexfox is not working or windows media. Any help with SDfix please

Israwill

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello Israwill,

Was Firefox working before you installed Norton 360?

Try removing Norton with the Removal Tool.

http://service1.syma...005033108162039

This will remove all version of Norton from the system.

You can download the tool in Safe Mode then boot into Normal mode and run the Tool.

If after that and you think that the system is infected you can post in the malware removal forum.

Follow the link below and follow the steps first.

After completing an expert from that forum will assist you in the cleaning of your system.

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Please follow the steps listed in the thread as you may be able to clear most or all of your problem.

If your are still having problem after running the various steps and scans then you will be able to post a

log for one of the experts to examine. Once following the steps and posting the logs please

be patient as that is a busy forum.

Hope this helps

Israwill

Israwill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks I am trying now I will see what are the results and follow your directions. Thank you so much for your help

Israel

Israwill

Israwill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I have great news. I went and download the Norton remove tool and after restarting my computer, Firefox come back to work, Windows Media is working again. What I am guessing is that the Norton 360 has some incompatibilities with Windows Vista. My Vista is Home Premium service pack 1.
Do you know if anyone has had any problem with Norton 360 with vista?
Do you recommend I try to install or find other antivirus? I am thinking Mcafee what do you think?

Thanks so much I finally can my Firefox to work which I like much better than IE7

Israwill

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Can't really say about incompatibilities..Don't know anyone running Norton 360.... As for trying Mcafee don't think it will be any

better. If the system is infected with malware then that can hinder the Norton 360 install. But just make sure that you have

something installed on the system.

Just for thought there are some pretty good free solutions ot there that are good.

http://www.geekstogo...ftware-t38.html

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Israwill
You just experienced real proof how bad Norton is. Forget the money, you paid for it, and stay away from it.