Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I Need To Delete My Old Network Connection If I Use A New Modem?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
The modem I've been using for a couple of years seems to have died. It doesn't work anymore, and so my only option to have working internet was to use a newer yet different model modem that my isp sent me. It's a different brand name/model, but it's for use with the same isp.

My old modem was setup on xp with a manual internet connection for high speed dsl I created using the "create a new connection" wizard in the network connections section of the control panel. Meaning I had to manually enter an email address, password, and all that info my isp had me to use with my old high speed dsl modem.

So well since my old modem stopped working, I decided to just it with my new modem. I didn't delete the network connection for my old modem, and well to my surprise my new modem [which is a different brand/model] works!

My question is should I have deleted the old network connection I used with my old modem or does it not matter?

Because one thing I find odd is that this new modem seems to be A LOT FASTER than the old one. I checked my stats on speedtest.net and they're off the charts! I used to get 3mbps on speedtest.net, and now I get 4mbps. Not only that but my network connection icon in my systray says 100.0mbps speed instead of 10.0mbps speed, which is what it used to say with my old modem. [I didn't ever really understand why it said 10.0mbps speed when I never got that speed anyways, and now 100.0mbps? What gives?]

Thank You

Edited by superstar, 20 January 2009 - 08:55 PM.

Advertisements