Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 1297 (Spooler Error)

• Please log in to reply

ruacriado

ruacriado

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I just bought a new Dell Inspirion 531 desktop with Vista. I have tried to install the printers from my old desktop that ran XP without success. The printers are a Dell AIO942 (that I have downloaded the Vista driver for) and a HP T45 all-in-one. When I click on Add Printer, I get the following message: "Windows can't open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine."

Then I go to RUN>services.msc > Print spooler. Clicking on this brings up Print Spooler Properties (local computer). Start up type is automatic. Service status says "stopped." When I click on start, I get the following message:
"Error 1209 A priviledge that the service requires to function properly does not exist in the service account configuration. You may use the Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in (services.msc) and the Local Security Settings MMC snap-in (secpol.msc) to view the service configuration and the account configuration."

This is a personal computer with only my accout on it. Those instructions were over my head and I got lost just trying to understand them. All I felt I could safely do was turn the computer off, leave it off for a little while and turn it back on. That didn't fix anything. In the last month both my laptops died and my other desktop died so I got this new one. Wasn't wild about getting Vista and my feelings haven't changed any.

All help is appreciated.

Advertisements

ruacriado

ruacriado

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
:) Have had NO response to this problem. Does that mean it's hopeless? How can I print from my new computer? Please, can someone help me? Have had this problem since I bought the computer.