Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Internet Problems (3 computers)

• Please log in to reply

sharkybc

sharkybc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello and thanks in advance for any help you would be so kind to give me. I have recently moved in with two roommates. All of us have computers and PS3s. We have a Linksys router we are pulling our connections from. We have been having problems however. Every time someone logs into Playstation Network(internet required) or turns on their computer which in turn enables their wireless internet, it boots everyone else who was using the internet offline. After they have logged on the people or peoples booted off the internet can then log back online with no problems. But this is a problem as we are constantly signing off and on our computers and Playstations. Also, we are supposed to have the 12 megabits-per-second internet package but ran a test and are only getting between 2-6, and our online gaming is "laggy".
This may be a problem on the ISP end and we may end up having to contact them to send a person to investigate our problem.
However, I have a feeling we may have our settings messed up somewhere or this is a problem we can fix without having to do that and thus I am here asking for some advice. Any information you need just tell me and I will get it. Offhand I can tell you we are using a basic WEP for security and it is a Linksys Router as stated. Thanks again for any help you can spare.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey sharkybc,

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings (preferably events that occur around the time you get kicked off). If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

One thing to try would be to turn off your Wireless WEP security and see if problems persist.

As to your lag issue, do you know the game server's address (IP or hostname)? What game is it?

- Dan