Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Acquiring Address

• Please log in to reply

jimbob1368

jimbob1368

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I have recently reinstalled windows XP on my machine and although able to connect to my Orange Livebox its a bit a of Hassle. I have SP3 now.

I am using a Netgear USB W111 adaptor. I am on Orange Broadband and using the Livebox. I cannot seem to use Netgear to connect as it seems stuck on Network Aquiring Address and then gives me the limited connectivity message. To connect when I log on I first of all have to untick the box so that netgear attempts(but fails) then re tick the box so that windows finds the internet settings. Windows then connects to the internet. This maybe ok for me when I kind of know what I'm doing but not for my other half.

On looking at the netgear stats there is no IP address listed.

please help I'm getting an earful off the missus.

Advertisements

abneb217

abneb217

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
jimbob,

are you using the Windows wireless utility or Netgear's to manage your wireless connections? If you're using Windows Wireless Zero Configuration, disable it (instructions below) and switch to the Netgear utility. If you're using the Netgear utility, do you have the latest version? If not, download it from here - Netgear Downloads page - Just select your adapter from the drop down list on the left (there's no W111..maybe it's WG111?)

Instructions for disabling the Wireless Zero Configuration service -
Go to Start -- Run
type services.msc & hit Enter
Scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration and double click on it
the Wireless Zero Configuration properties window opens. Here you can stop the service if it is running & more importantly change the Startup type to disabled.
hit OK when done