Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP 7B during Windows XP Setup

• Please log in to reply

JiNxX9500

JiNxX9500

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
hello!

I'm trying to do a repair installation of Windows XP, it's been a while since my last one and the computer was recently infected by Vundo (I'm now malware-free thanks to one of the staff here... original thread). I initiate the repair from within Windows, it prepares the install and then reboots the PC as expected. but it gets as far as the Windows XP splash screen (with the animated silver "progress meter") before I get a BSOD with the following STOP error:

00000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I've come to understand that this means "inaccessible boot device". I've never had this problem during a reinstall before, so I was under the impression that it might be a leftover effect of the Vundo trojan (Vundo also disabled my system restore... sneaky little so-and-so).

my hard drive is SATA-connected to the motherboard; could it be simply that my driver was corrupted?

thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello JiNxX9500...

When Windows repair starts, the first thing it does is remove the current system files...including the SATA/RAID drivers. You should be prompted to press the F6 key to install any special drivers. It's at that point that you can install the SATA drivers that will allow Windows to detect your SATA drive when it boots. The drivers should be on the motherboard disk...or on the Driver cd if your machine is OEM.

wannabe1

JiNxX9500

JiNxX9500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ahh OK... I found the CD for the motherboard and it indeed has the drivers I need. funny that it wants me to create a floppy diskette for installing them. good thing I went and bought a floppy drive to put in this PC.

off to attempt the repair!

JiNxX9500

JiNxX9500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
alright, it worked. thanks wannabe1! :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great!

Glad to help... :)

NafSap

NafSap

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Changing the Sata Mode in the computer Bios from AHCI to IDE took care of it for me.