Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New at the whole building thing

• Please log in to reply

RMoss#1fan

RMoss#1fan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Everyone,
I am interested in building my own computer, this will a first for me. I am not sure where to start, figured I would ask for help. The past couple days i have been looking at barebones kits at compusa.com. but im lost. i dont want my first build to be expensive, but at the same time i want it to be a good one. So i will be thanking everyone for their help ahead of time.. Thank You all..

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi RMoss#1fan, welcome to Geeks To Go!

First off, I would like to ask you a couple of questions.

1) What is your budget for this build?
2) What are you going to use this computer for?
3) If you're gaming, are you an intense gamer (need a nice graphics card perhaps) and what resolution will you be playing at and what monitor will you be using?
4) Will you be overclocking? If so, are you experienced?
5) Will you be needing other peripherals such as Monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS, etc.?
6) Do you know if you're going to be upgrading in the future (if your budget is not so high right now)?
7) Do you have any preference on where to get these parts from? Newegg seems to be the most popular site here.

Thanks,
Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 21 January 2009 - 12:19 PM.

RMoss#1fan

RMoss#1fan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
1) im not sure, i would like to keep it under 700
2) i am going to school to become an architect, so i would be using it to run software such as AutoCAD.
3) I dont know if you are familiar with the AutoCAD software, AutoCAD does use 3D walk-throughs
4) No I will not be overclocking, and no im not experienced.
5) i would like to be able to use my tv as my monitor, and i am stuck between vista and xp
6) i would like to upgrade in the future, or build a new one. to keep my first as a souvenir
7) no i do not have any preference on where i will be getting the parts.

thank you kamille for your help

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi,

I kinda went overboard but if you take advantage of the Mail-in-Rebate, you'll save $45.

Here's the build:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L - $94.99
Antec Three Hundred - $49.95
HIS Hightech H485FN512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB - $139.99
PC Power & Cooling 500W - $69.99
Samsung 22X DVD-Drive - $25.99
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - $189.99
Western Digital 500GB - $64.99
G.SKILL 4GB (2x2GB) - $39.99
Microsoft Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS - $104.99
Total - $780.87

I've heard that if you have AutoCAD 32-bit program that it will not work on a 64-bit OS so I used a 32-bit Vista OS on this build. The 64-bit Vista OS is cheaper though and you'd be able to use all 4GB or RAM (instead of ~3.2-3.5GB with the 32-bit OS).

What's the size of the TV you're going to use?

To save money, you can get a 320GB hard drive instead and maybe a lower end video card.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 21 January 2009 - 05:26 PM.

RMoss#1fan

RMoss#1fan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
a 46 inch Sony Bravia

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

I've heard that if you have AutoCAD 32-bit program that it will not work on a 32-bit OS so I used a 32-bit Vista OS on this build.

I believe kamille meant that 32-bit AutoCAD will not work on a 64-bit OS. However, if you have a 64-bit OS, why would you use 32-bit AutoCAD when you could use the 64-bit AutoCAD?

The only reason I can think of is that you would be issued the 32-bit AutoCAD by your school, but I'm sure that any serious institution would know that it is incompatible with an ever-increasing number of computers, and would provide you with the 64-bit version. If for some reason you can only get the 32-bit version, there is a workaround here.

If you're buying AutoCAD out of your own pocket, just buy the 64-bit version. Simple as that.

In any case, I'd recommend getting 64-bit Vista unless you are positive you will be getting the 32-bit version of AutoCAD and don't feel that you could do the workaround (or you just don't want the hassle).

Edited by stettybet0, 21 January 2009 - 04:41 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Oh thanks stettybet, that is what I meant :)

RMoss#1fan

RMoss#1fan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks again..

and what motherboard would you recomend if i wanted to use a regular monitor

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
On your choice of videocard. AutoCAD can tap into the Quadro line of cards to accelerate the 3D graphics (I would assume ATIs pro series of cards would work as well). I would think that this is one area where the Quadro/Fire line would be optimal over a usual consumer card.

RMoss#1fan

RMoss#1fan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for all the help.. i greatly appreciate it.. and im sure ill be back with a lot more questions..