Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

think my daughters computer is dead

• Please log in to reply

bigbilly

bigbilly

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi i was wandering if someone could please help me my daughters computer was almost at a standstill
it was running very slow i tried various methods to fix the problem
ie system restore virus scans malaware scans nothing worked
so i tried the system recovery with the disks that i had made of the computer when i got it.
And it turns out that one of the disks is not working and now all
i get is ntldr missing press ctrl/alt/del to restart
If i put the recovery disk in i get as far as disk three from a set of six disks
it just keeps going to the end and starting over
thanks in advance for any help :)

the computer is a compac pavillion
windows xp

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I doubt if I can help you all the way through this, but just a few suggestions. Make sure the disks are clean. Check for scratches. Especially on disk that isn't being read. Depending on the age of the computer, you may actually have a bad optical drive. Subbing a known good one will verify yea/nay.

Also, while you have it off and unplugged, you might check to see if the processor's heatsink fins are clogged with dust, as well as, the fans. Be VERY careful inside. Static electricity can be harmful to the circuit boards should you have to clean dust/dirt out.

Further help on this will have to be done by these younger whizzes. :)

bigbilly

bigbilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi major payne thanks for your quick reply i will try the steps you have sugested
and hope someone else has some ideas thanks again keep up the good work

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. Post back if no solution and I'll see if I can get one of the smarter techs to look at your problem.

bigbilly

bigbilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi major payne thanks again for your help but as of yet i just cant work it out i have created a disk with ntldr
and i still keep getting the same message that the ntldr is still missing.
Iwould realy appreciate all the help i can get :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Two things, first let's address the possible heat issue (I do not feel that this is a heat issue.)
your computer may be experiencing some overheating due to dust buildup. Can you open the side of the case and inspect the fan(s), air intake vents (front, back and sometimes side) and the processor's heatsink?

A few pictures of heatsinks in the following links.

http://www.google.co...l=en&q=heatsink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_sink

The heatsink fins will often become compacted with dust, and the fan blades will aquire buildup as well, all of which prevents good air flow and resulting cooling of the processor. The power supply (where the power cord plugs into the back of the computer) also has a fan and air flow vents, both of which can become clogged with dust. Overheating of either or both the power supply and processor can cause the computer to shutdown as you've described.

The best way to remove the dust buildup is with compressed air, which is available in cans from most any general merchandise store, office supply store and electronics store if you don't have access to an air compressor. When using compressed air to clean, don't allow the air flow to spin the fan blades. Hold the ones you can and use a toothpick or similar to hold the ones you can't get to, like the power supply fan (back of the machine).

Do NOT use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust. It can create static electricity which might arc to your computer's components thereby damaging it.

Second (I believe that this is the issue) your hard drive may be corrupted to the point that you can not complete the recovery proccedure. (the drive may be failing and as it is used the heat causes issues, or the sectors are so corrupt that they can not be written to)
Do you have the ability to install a new hard drive? If not I will give you some links to articles that will give you step by step instructions.
UNPLUG the power cord before opening the computer case!!! (It is not enough to just turn off the computer, It takes 2 seconds to unplug the computer and reduce any risk of electricusion!)
Use the same kind of hard drive EG: SATA to SATA and ATA (pata) to ATA. The recovery disc will stall if you use a different kind of hardware other than what was used by the manufacture.

An article on installing a new hard drive can be found by clicking this link http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_hard.htm