Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to set a system restore point

• Please log in to reply

Eavin

Eavin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi im trying to follow the steps on the Malware Cleaning Guide and Im not able to create a system restore point. I run the tool provided and it says "restore point creation failed!" I then try to open the system restore thing and my computer crashes. any help?

Advertisements

titans58

titans58

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I dont have help for you but listen up..... i did do a complete recovery and totally messed my computer up by doing that. Be very careful. My puter desktop is like 6 yrs old..with XP of course and i never had any major issues till i downloaded the IE beta 8 then about a week later kept getting an error messege on every page i went to. It got to where i couldnt do anything. Then i tried doing a system restore and there was no restore points. My last resort , to which thats why its there was to do a complete restore. well guess what? My puter is in the shop. My Hp ( from what i have researched HP was very notorious for that in older puters like mine) didnt come with a recovery disc and i did (with 6 discs it took) a back up when i first got it but they didnt work either. My puter after system restore was as if i just took it right out of the box and i lost all my Microsoft updates. It wouldnt read that i had any Microsoft anything and it would say error could not findwhen i would try and down load it though Microsoft . So I just bought a good 8 gb flash drive and put anything that was important on it and bought a new Toshiba laptop with Vista and transfered them to it. Sometimes i wonder if anything that says beta is worth it. Maybe on brand new puters but nothing that is older. Sometimes older puters from what i feel i know just wont deal and hold this new stuff. And most beta anything is stiil in experimental stage. We are the guina pigs for it. If you have a disc that came with your puter your lucker than i was, but if you dont i would careful think of what to do and get help in what do before doing anything. Im having issues already with my Toshiba latop with a error...its like good lord what now? ITS 1 MONTH OLD.
Good Luck and may the force be with you.

ComputerSponge

ComputerSponge

• Pip
  • 8 posts
your system restore service might be turned off. go to control panel>administrative tools>services and look for "system restore service." right click on it and go to properties. set the startup type to automatic and then click "start"

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Are you done with malware forum, or what's the story?

karbo

karbo

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
You could try lines 278 (left column) and 289 (right column) from here. See if it helps.