Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Aftermath of Malware Cleanup Help Needed

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Greetings. First I want to thank everyone who posts to these forums, particularly for this thread:

When I found that not only several of the computers on our network were infected with Sality/Tanatos.M - but our server was as well, I was in a great deal of distress. But your 'must read before posting Hijackthis' thread and the thread above saved my butt.

Because of those postings I was able to free up the Task Manager and Regedit (either with Sys restore or a script), then carefully remove the malware from all of the machines. Unfortunately there is no System Restore on our server that's running MS Server 2003 Small Business svc pack 2 - so I'm left with a rather big mess even though the malware is gone.

I am unable to operate the following programs - they will not open, I suspect registry tomfoolery:

AVG Network Edition 8.0

and I can not uninstall the programs above (Because I'd just reinstall) as well as some others that were installed during my attempt at cleansing the system:

xsoft spy

If anyone would be so kind as to give me some direction as to how to repair the registry file, I would be ever grateful. Or if it's not the Registry then a hint as to what might be the problem. I had considered just looking for Ccleaner's reg entry to try and fix that, but I doubt that I'll be able to uninstall even with Ccleaner if the registry of the other programs is mucked up.

And as an aside: this circus was caused by a careless thumbdrive user. :)

Again thank you for the help from the previous postings above. I look forward to participating in these forums in the future!!!!