Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Problem

• Please log in to reply

baros

baros

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, here goes. A few days ago my xp-system (which had so far been working great) froze up after me running a java heavy app. There was no choice but to reset. After doing so however windows wouldn't load anymore. So first I went for a windows repair which worked with one exception, I was completely unable to change monitor resolution regardless which driver I tried.

So I thought it was just due to a bad install and went along and reinstalled xp+sp2 all over again on a fresh drive. Same problem.
Regardless the driver I have to force the resolution in the nvidia app, otherwise it's stuck at one setting. I've tried playing Far Cry and it flows just fine, although the graphics is similar to an mx card. Mafia just gives me a black screen (I have indeo installed).
When I run dxdiag it locks up at the directshow test (9.0c is installed).

I would be truly greatful for any suggestions on the matter. Fried gfx card components perhaps? It's still working though, although not to the same extent it once was.

I have tried a variety of via/nvidia drivers.

My system:
AMD 64 3000+
1 gig generic ram
MSI NEO K8T
Leadtek A400 TDH GeForce 6800 nu

Advertisements