Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

operating system not found error

• Please log in to reply

bamamom

bamamom

• Pip
  • 1 posts
when trying to boot the computer says operating system not found. I can hear the hard drive running. Please help.

Advertisements

Bumblefoot

Bumblefoot

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Bamamom,

What operating system is on the drive? Win XP, Vista, ???.

Is the system passing the POST? (Power on self test). Do you know if the hard drive has been partitioned?

Is there anything you can see on the monitor when the system boots, or reboots? Do you remember if it did prior to this problem?

Do you have the original install disk? Have you tried to boot up using that? (DO NOT reinstall, unless you have recently installed what is running on your system, and have back-ups, either on a CD or on a secondary drive?)

Hearing the hard drive is a good thing, but if you had a virus that destroyed your boot sector, might as well reinstall.

Can you access the BIOS? (Depending on your model accessing the BIOS can vary greatly. Hopefully you have original documentation?) I think F2 is the most likely method the access the BIOS, or try del, esc, ctrl-+alt+esc.

How long have you had the system, and has the internal battery ever been replaced?

Rather than play the guessing game, please please give more info on what you know about your system? -Thanks - Bumblefoot

CyBrShRk

CyBrShRk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I know this might sound stupid...but I get many calls like this so I'll ask. Do you have a floppy disk in your floppy drive? If so, please remove and reboot the computer.