Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Supposedly no malware - still unable to connect to websites

• Please log in to reply

jjbones

jjbones

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I ran through malware troubleshooting in the HJT section a couple weeks ago. Here's the thread.

http://www.geekstogo...es-t220343.html

My computer is supposedly clean, but I'm still experiencing the same symptoms. The tech who helped me suggested I check the XP forums as the next step.

I can't connect to certain sites like walmart.com, photobucket.com, and others. These sites connect fine from another computer on the same network. I even used HostExpert.zip to restore my hosts file from what Spybot created. I actually connected to walmart.com right after that successfully, but then the next time I visited, it was unable to connect again. No changes to the host file occurred that I could see.

Also my clock is in a 24hour format, and I can't seem to figure out how to change it.

Here are the basic specs.

XP Service Pack 3
Pentium® D CPU 2.80 GHZ
1.00 GB RAM

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I can't figure out for the life of me what is going on.

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello jjbones,

For the clock issue have you tried changing the settings.

1.Open Control Panel
2.Click Clock,Language, Region
3.select Regional and Language Options
4.click Customize this Format
5.select Time tab
6.time format should be h:mm:ss tt

Gonna look over your other thread to see what has been done to the system and research this a little further.

jjbones

jjbones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hello jjbones,

For the clock issue have you tried changing the settings.

1.Open Control Panel
2.Click Clock,Language, Region
3.select Regional and Language Options
4.click Customize this Format
5.select Time tab
6.time format should be h:mm:ss tt

Gonna look over your other thread to see what has been done to the system and research this a little further.

Clock issue fixed. I kept looking under Date & Time. Thanks for the help.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Malware sometimes corrupts registry settings and so forth and can stop a computer from going online even after the malware is gone. If a Malware Staff member said your HJT log is clean, then it is. But HJT doesn't (to my knowledge) account for settings changed by malware in regards to internet. I would try downloading and running WinSockFix, if you can, and see if that helps your issue.

cindyk

cindyk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I had the same problem just yesterday on a Laptop here at work, during a Malware infection.

However it was /not/ malware that was causing the problem it, it was the install of Service Pack 3. The Service Pack had not finished the install completely and/or correctly.

You can help determine if Service Pack 3 is the culprit by doing the following:

1) Open a CMD prompt and try to ping an outside website like this: 74.125.39.103/
OR alternatively just type this into your address bar of your browser: http://74.125.39.103/

If you come to Google UK you will know that it is a DNS problem, and could be your DNS settings or the Service Pack 3 install. If your DNS settings are correct under the TCP/IP section of your local connection OR whatever other connection you might be using then you should try reinstalling Service Pack 3.

2) You will probably have to burn Service Pack 3 to a CD or stick it on a thumb drive from another computer. Here is where to download it from Microsoft download center:

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

I hope this helps!!!

Edited by cindyk, 23 January 2009 - 09:28 AM.

jjbones

jjbones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Malware sometimes corrupts registry settings and so forth and can stop a computer from going online even after the malware is gone. If a Malware Staff member said your HJT log is clean, then it is. But HJT doesn't (to my knowledge) account for settings changed by malware in regards to internet. I would try downloading and running WinSockFix, if you can, and see if that helps your issue.

WinSockFix worked! All the sites that previously weren't connecting seem fine now. Thanks to everyone for their advice. I'm glad I didn't have to remove and re-install Service Packs but I was going to because the problems were so annoying. Thanks again!

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
No prob! Glad I could help :)