Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 98 error: IEXPLORE executed an invalid instruction inmodule Fl

• Please log in to reply

mick504

mick504

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

I have searched to resolve this but nothing came back. I have an old windows 98 and I get this error all the time and then it causes me to have to get out of internet explorer. It comes up when I search various 'many' websites. It is as follows: DDHelp caused a general protection fault in Module GDI.EXE at 0001:00001bef. It also says that I have 'performed an illegal operation and the system will close' and it does. I don't know what I did wrong but it's a real hassle. It seems it may have started awhile back after my hardrive went out and I had to install a used hardrive (nothing else available) in my computer and then had to reload windows 98 and outlook express. I did download something today from this website to fix IEexplore but that didn't help. Thanks in advance for any help from the forum. Mick504 ...I'm new to this website and am trying to resolve this nasty error that causes me to close out my searches and then click internet explorer to go back in....then same problem occurs.

I also get this error when going into other websites I search. It is as follows: IEXPLORE executed an invalid instruction in module Flash 9F.OCX at 0187:30055b27. Then the darn compute says on another message that I have performed an illegal operation and the darn computer has to shut down....like gee thanks for that! Any ideas anyone????????????????Help please!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts
Welcome to geeks to go

have you tried to repair IE?
Go to the add/remove program and click on Internet explorer and add/remove.
You will get an option to repair IE.

The flash9F.ocx is part of adobe flash player. Have you tried reinstalling the flash player?
Do a search for it. Uninstall and when needed, IE will ask to reinstall.

mick504

mick504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I recently tried to fix IEXPLORE; but add/remove and then fix based on someone's suggestion but that didn't help. I'll try to remove adobe flash player...Thanks for the ideas!!! mick504

mick504

mick504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi...today I tried to do a program search for Adobe Flash Player. I couldn't find it. I have Adobe Reader 6.0 (I think) and Windows Media Player. How can I find if I have Adobe Flash Player? I don't play any video games whatsoever! Please advise!!!!!!!!!

mick504

mick504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm not sure what to do! I still get the same error messages and then the computer shuts down. I have Windows Media Player not Abobe Flash Player...as far as I can tell. I could take it out for target practice.....the computer being the target; but the kids enjoy it. For some reason the errors do not always come up in every website. I ran Spybot...to no avial. Any other ideas anyone???????

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

I don't know all about the error problem you are having, but as far as installing Adobe Flash Player, just go to Adobe.com or google it for the correct site.

Then just try installing it from there, if you can't find it in add/remove programs I assume you dont have it.

If you get an error saying something like you don't have enough space when trying to install it...CLICK HERE...to resolve that issue. Sometimes you have to change a drive letter of a removable drive to install adobe. You would think a program as popular as Adobe wouldn't have this glitch.

Hope this helps.

mick504

mick504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the tip...I'll try it today!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Let me know how things go

mick504

mick504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I downloaded Adobe 9.0 flash player; however I still get the 9F.OCX error; then the computer says I did something illegal and then shuts down.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You may have some malware of some sort. I don't know much about errors or even the illegal operation errors you get. One thing that helps me when I get errors is google the error. Type in exactly what it says like "IE error This program has performed an illegal..." but put "how do I fix" or something to that nature in front of the error and see what google comes up with.

Chances are someone has posted a topic about the same kind of thing and google will find that forum that they posted.

Hopefully, a Staff member will get in here and have better advice for you. You may want to try posting something in the malware forum and provide a link to this post so they know what is going on and you don't have to retype or re explain everything.

Good luck!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts
Lets try the Adobe recommended removal and then re-install.

HOW TO UNINSTALL
ADOBE FLASH PLAYER

mick504

mick504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks I uninstalled Flash Player using the website address you provided. Question: Is Windows Media Player and Adobe Flash Player similar in its usefullness. Since I already have WMPlayer do I need Adobe FP? The problem I currently have was not resolve by either program...ie WMPLayer or Adobe FP. Thanks Though I'll keep working to resolve the problem where something seems incompatible w/something else. Take Care

mick504

mick504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
JR..thanks for the tips...I'll keep working on the problem. I also uninstalled Adobe Flash Player....cause I had the problem before I installed it. I'll continue to search the problem on google for awhile. Mick