Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP repair from disc

• Please log in to reply

dvendetta

dvendetta

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm currently repairing my windows OS from the disc provided with the computer. Once my computer has gotten to the pages where it starts to seem as if Windows is reinstalling, I make it through: Collecting information, Dynamic update, Preparing installation, and as soon as it starts installing windows I'm getting a command box asking for files needed. The file 'asms' on windows xp professional service pack 2 CD is needed.

2 problems...well 3

1. My keyboard and mouse are lit and have power to them (numlock, caps) lite up, also the mouse is infer red and is lit.

2. I have know idea what this CD is. I really don't recall the disc coming with the computer, bought new threw dell.

Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. :)

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Helo dvendetta,

See if this will help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311755

Might give you a good starting point.