Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Suddenly Gets Ridiculously Hot/100% Usage w/ basic apps

• Please log in to reply

ejf071189

ejf071189

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Have a e6600 on a msi sli platinum, when I first built the system, cpu ran around 40-50C overclocked to 1333FSB. Now, just going into the bios after turning the pc on, the cpu rapidly heats to ~75C. I took out the heatsink and cleaned the fins, plugged in the optional heatsink fan that came w/ the board that I had unplugged before (loud), bought new thermal paste (haven't gotten it shipped yet so hasn't been applied), and unoverclocked and reset the bios to default settings. CPU fan is running ~2000rpm and optional fan is ~10000rpm on bios. Problem is still persisting, I'll apply the thermal compound when it comes but I can't see it cooling it by 30C.

Anyone know a possible cause?

Advertisements