Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

eMachines keeps shutting down, need help

• Please log in to reply

AvasMommy03

AvasMommy03

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an eMachines (with XP) that's a little over a year old. The other day it shut down for no reason. I restarted it and it shut down again. It would shut down anywhere from 10 seconds to 3 minutes after starting it up. Long story short, I did some checking around online and several people said it could be the fan. So I replaced the fan tonight and it was doing great. It stayed on from 7:30PM until 9:05. I turned it back on and it stayed on until 9:40. I turned it back on and it stayed on until 10:10. But this time I heard a single beep when it turned off and it immediately restarted itself. I left it alone and it stayed on for 65 minutes before shutting down. I didn't turn it back on, it's been off ever since.

What the heck is going on with this thing? The only thing I can think of, to try next, is the power cord.

Thanks for any help.

(I scanned for viruses and spy ware and it came up clean)

UPDATE: Today I blew out the inside with compressedd air and changed the power cord. But it seems to be a little worse. Last night it was staying on for an hour or more ... today it's only staying on for 10-20 minutes.

Edited by AvasMommy03, 22 January 2009 - 03:33 PM.

Advertisements