Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Services that must be running

• Please log in to reply

tj_

tj_

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

Just discovered these forums in my searches for speeding up a computer.

So I've got myself Autoruns and disabled a few things like Adobe, Nero etc.

Fortunately, many people have warned to be careful when using this - however, is there a definitive list of services that MUST be running - XP Pro SP3?

Also, why does svchost.exe appear multiple times?

Tim

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Svchost appearing multiple times is normal behaviour. What Svchost does is basically allow programs to be run by other means other than a standalone program that does the same job. The benefits of this means if a program needs, for example, the ability to connect to a network, it can use the behaviour that Windows uses rather than its own routines. These other means are the .dll files you find all over the computer, and the basic principle is the functions in these are ran by Svchost.exe, hence why you can easily end up with multiple numbers of them in the Task Manager.

Playing with the Services under Windows isn't recommended because a lot of them have knock-on effects - some are dependent on other things to be running. Therefore if you're not careful you can screw things up to a point where it wouldn't boot any longer. Like the engine in your car, you don't take it to pieces if you don't know how to get it going again, therefore you shouldn't chop and change the services in Windows if you're not sure whether it'll boot again.