Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Wireless G PCI Card not recognized in Vista

• Please log in to reply

Robie7642003

Robie7642003

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I just installed a new Gigabyte Air Cruiser wireless g PCI card into a Gigabyte motherboard. I installed the drivers off the disc, although a "client utility" that should have popped up after installation didn't. I went to Device Manager and it did say that my network card was working properly.

But when I try to find my existing wireless network it says I don't have a wireless adapter installed. In fact, no available networks show up.

I had originally had the computer hooked to the router via an ethernet cable, which I had disconnected.

As background, I never could find my existing home wireless network on the computer via the cable hook-up--it set up its own network which could access the other network computers, but I couldn't access the new computer off the other older computers on the network
. I thought it might be easier to find the network wirelessly.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Larry,

Let's see if your card is actually being detected:
  • Press Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd and press the ENTER key
  • In the new command prompt window, type route print > C:\route.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file route.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Please also do the following on your current vista computer that is having wireless issues, and on one machine that is successfully connected to the Internet/network.
  • Press Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd and press the ENTER key
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
- Dan