Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DNS error - cannot find server - SPECIFIC TO ONE WEBSITE [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

richgcook

richgcook

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi there,

Lately (for the past 3-4 months) I have been unable to access http://www.collectivegallery.net and when I try to visit the page it hangs for a few moments, and states 'DNS error - cannot find server' (I am using Google chrome), I have attempted to visit this site through IE or Firefox and the same problem occurs. My girlfriend in my flat has the exact same problem yet I asked a few friends who stay down the road to try and access it and they can do it no problem. I'm unsure whether I have a trojan, or something as I find it very odd that it happens with JUST the website.

Any help and advice would be most appreciated as I really need to access this site on a regular basis and now I figure something is definitely wrong.

If you wish a Hijack log I will post one.

Thanks,

Richard

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi there if you could post the Hijackthis log plus one other and I will see where to go from there

Disable resident protections (Antivirus...); you'll re-enable them after the scan

Download Lop S&D < here

Double-click Lop S&D.exe
Choose the language, then choose Option 1 (Search)
Wait till the end of the scan
Post the log which is created: (%SystemDrive%\lopR.txt)

richgcook

richgcook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey can I just say to everyone that I found a solution to this.

Turns out I was thinking that there must be an issue with either my router or ISP. So since it was a DNS error I thought perhaps my ISP or router has got some DNS things wrong so using OpenDNS.

Start...Control Panel...View Network Status/settings.
View Status then select TCP/IPv4. Press the Properties button.
Click the radio button for DNS servers and enter the following
Main: 208.67.222.222
Alt: 208.67.220.220
Hit OK.

Basically I went to the OpenDNS website, followed the very useful and well done instructions to using an OpenDNS server and now all my DNS errors are solved.

I think this should help everyone.

Thanks for your help anyway Essexboy :)

Rich

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you are happy then I will close this

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.