Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CCleaner

• Please log in to reply

sportskd2

sportskd2

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
this application can be downloaded from its site or from downloads.com and it is amazing it can delete many things from your computer that take space up every time you connect to the internet or when you click anything on your computer and it also has a regristry cleaner which is great to detect regristry keys for things you delete :tazz:

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Just a warning it has been known recently to remove legit registry keys,

might suggest Cleanup! Great program

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
Hey don77,

I use CleanUp and recommend it. I also have CCleaner. CCleaner is a little more advanced and you have to know what you are doing. I wish I would have read the manual before I just ran the program.

IMO

rstones12

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
CleanUp! is known to remove themes though... damned if you do, damned if you dont

I personally like CCleaner, the registry stuff is only a danger if you use its registry cleaning section. For just wiping temp files and the like its fine

Edited by Avohir, 06 May 2005 - 11:25 PM.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Thanks for clairfying that, I suppose I should have explained it a little better,

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I also tried Ccleaner and it's not a bad program. however it claims to remove the index.dat file windows uses and on my machines it did not! Also Regseeker claims to remove these files but on one of my three machines it could not, yet on another it did and still can ... it's not installed on the third machine. Anyway a simple bat file can remove these files easily enough. the program Index.dat Suite can automatically create such a batch file and it will be executed next boot. Basicly helps remove the same kind of stuff CCleaner removes. ;)

As to

Just a warning it has been known recently to remove legit registry keys,

in my somewhat limited experience all registry cleaners are guilty of this. I usually check it out myself rather than blindly click remove or whatever. :tazz:

Edited by StarHawk, 09 May 2005 - 04:48 PM.