Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

copying startup DLLs from master to slave

• Please log in to reply

FordracingBII

FordracingBII

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
The Hard drive on my compact presario 1703wm would not start XP. error messege was "load needed DLLs for kernel". I tried to copy the boot.INI files from the backup partition no luck. I tried the recovery tools CD and again no luck. Worried that I might loose a heckofalota hard work I yanked the harddrive and hooked it up as a slave in my Dell diminsion 4300(?).
I can now access everything in the slave HD and i'm copying everything to an external HD.

Finally my question is how do I copy the needed DLLs onto the slave HD so I can reinstall the drive back in the Compact presario as this drive contains the operating system for the presario?

I will be waiting for your questions as I am sure that I didn't make everything clear.... har.

Thank you for your attention to this matter

Bruce
AKA FordracingBII

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
The easiest way?
When you're done with backing up your data, put the hard drive back into Compaq computer, format the drive, and reinstall Windows.

FordracingBII

FordracingBII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I guess thats probably the best way.
I just didn't want to ad the service packs install all the updates, remove all the "stuff" that I didnt need, u Know this is my "custom Drive" I had it just the way I wanted it.
Always looking for an ez fix...thats me.
There has got to be a way to just replace the files that sre missing or corupt so I can pop it back in and fire it up and get back to work (did i just say that?):)

I can handle some DOS "stuff" if that helps

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

u Know this is my "custom Drive" I had it just the way I wanted it.

I fully understand. I do very same thing. Two days ago, I bought a new laptop with all preinstalled crap on it. I spent few hours to "adjust" it to my likening, and the very next step was to create an image.
No backup = lot of "pain".

You can obviously try couple of things...
1. Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
2. Windows repair: http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

FordracingBII

FordracingBII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
my desktop from the compact did not copy and I cant find it!

is it because I didn't open the operating system on the compact?

Sheeesh I just want to restart windows and fade into the sunset........

error says "load needed .DLLs for kernerl"

Or freezes on the blue recovery screen where it ask's if you want to repair press R or quit Q

thanks for helping

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

my desktop from the compact did not copy and I cant find it!

is it because I didn't open the operating system on the compact?

Come again?

FordracingBII

FordracingBII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
when i had the compact hd slaved to the dell and i copied files from the compact everything that was on the compact desktop is missing. i didn't copy the operating system from the compact could that be why?

these are the screens that i get
a white screen
error says "load needed .DLLs for kernerl"
Or freezes on the blue recovery screen where it ask's if you want to repair press R or quit Q

i think everything is still there but i just cant get windows to start

i think we can do this.......

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
How did you backup your Desktop? This should be done by again connecting the hard disk as slave and then go to c: > documents and settings > your user account. Now copy Desktop and paste to the backup disk.

Since you cannot boot your computer sfc /scannow will not work. It will only work on the running operating system (Dell in your case).

Could you explain what happened that caused this crippling of the operating system?

FordracingBII

FordracingBII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i went to the microsoft update website and was trying to download any updates and then i got a screen that said i needed to run chkdsk and to restart to run checkdisk. i clicked on yes to repair and then it would only start in safe mode and i couldnt restore to an earlier date (i tried a bunch of different dates) then it started to just randomly restart.then came the black screen that said"load needed Dlls for kernel".

i setting it back up to copy the rest of the documents per your instructions.
it still seems like it's something easy to fix but then again......... i am an optimist

thank you